Help us choose a dog

/ Help us choose a dog #31  
I have allergies too...but I like aussies. They're smart and they love to get out and do things. He loves getting out on the ranch.

20220905_111922.jpg

/ Help us choose a dog #32  
Wife brought home a Labradooddle - Hypoallergenic and one big goofy doo. lol
Could be fun if it wasn't number 6 :rolleyes:

/ Help us choose a dog #33  
I think you touched base on this briefly, but rather than getting a puppy of a breed which doesn't live long, consider a slightly older dog. I haven't spent much time looking at shelters but it seems like you can be choosy and not take the first doh which comes along.

Of course for me the only breed of dog is a lab, and 12-14 years is all that they are apt to live. The way they shed, vacuum cleaners don't live that long. :p

/ Help us choose a dog #34  
A boxer would fit your bill. I have experience with them. My last one white was exceptionally good.
They are the most popular dog in the US today, surpassing Labs. Among other things, I suspect people have realized how energetic the latter breed is.

/ Help us choose a dog #36  
I love dogs but not being tied down by a dog is the #2 reason I don't have one. #1 reason is that my wife is not a dog lover and has a dog hair phobia. Not worth the trouble it would cause to the marriage. I envy those of you who have them.

I always liked the schnauzer breeds and they are hypoallergenic I believe. You might look into a rescue for them as they are a relatively active breed that get rescued I believe. IF, I decide to chance it, that is the dog breed I'm interested in.

Last edited:
   / Help us choose a dog #37  
Yeah, I really like boxers, at least when I run into them in public. Never had any close friends or family who own one, but I do have one in the neighborhood that's very friendly.
My son has two boxers. They are absolute knuckle heads. Of course grandpa might be encouraging some of the antics

/ Help us choose a dog #38  
One comment on Rhodesian ridgebacks. They were bred to attack and hold on to lions. They do not naturally back down from anything. I think that they can be great until they aren't. They are a whole other level of dog ownership and responsibilities from most other breeds.

I have known a couple they can be sweet and good natured. We had a ridgeback/Dalmatian cross (dumbest dog on record, but that was him. Very sweet.). However, I would never, ever, describe them as safe. I would hesitate to see them around kids or strangers, and I would not leave them loose in a yard. An invisible fence is not going to be a barrier. I would not own one personally. A friend of a friend had one turn on his kids one evening out of the blue and he had to fight it off with a large chair. The dog had the owner pinned in a corner and had eaten off the legs by the time the police arrived.

I would Google "Rhodesian ridgeback attack" before you adopt one.

All the best,

Peter

/ Help us choose a dog #39  
Wife brought home a Labradooddle - Hypoallergenic and one big goofy doo. lol
Could be fun if it wasn't number 6 :rolleyes:
My daughter has a labradoodle. That thing is a spaz!!!! It's like someone took a dog with ADHD, fed it a bag of coffee beans, and then mainlined the thing with a case of redbull

To give you an idea how this dog is. Think back to the childhood toy we used to get with the paddle, elastic cord with the little red ball hooked to it. This dog is the little red ball Just a constant hop hop hop in your face.

I can't handle it.

My advice for someone getting a labradoodle. Plenty of space for it to run. Keep it super busy and active, and for God sakes give it a bloody job.

If not, the high energy will be a huge negative.

/ Help us choose a dog #40  
We have a really good no kill animal shelter. They'll let you foster a pet and that way you see the most suitable one before adoption.