Help us choose a dog

/ Help us choose a dog
If you go to a shelter, all the good planning and ideas may just fade into insignificance if you happen across the right dog.
Wow, so many great posts, guys. I really appreciate all of the great info from everyone, esp. on the Vizsla, my own reading on that has been telling me that we may not be up to that level of energy or commitment to daily exercise.

This post from 2manyrocks hits the nail on the head, and is why I'm trying to do research before visiting the shelter. I'll probably try to do it with my wife, while the kids are off at school, to avoid emotional snap decisions. But even so, I want to avoid bringing home a poor choice. Once the kids see it, no matter how poor a choice, I have a feeling we'll be keeping it.

/ Help us choose a dog #42  
Wow, so many great posts, guys. I really appreciate all of the great info from everyone, esp. on the Vizsla, my own reading on that has been telling me that we may not be up to that level of energy or commitment to daily exercise.

This post from 2manyrocks hits the nail on the head, and is why I'm trying to do research before visiting the shelter. I'll probably try to do it with my wife, while the kids are off at school, to avoid emotional snap decisions. But even so, I want to avoid bringing home a poor choice. Once the kids see it, no matter how poor a choice, I have a feeling we'll be keeping it.
Yup that could well happen, but sometimes the perfect companion is right there. I slept in shelter parking lot to get a pup the night before she was up for adoption. Right dog right time did not want to miss out. NEVER regretted that move for a moment.....Wonderful dog for that time in my life.
Best of luck.

/ Help us choose a dog #43  
If you go to a shelter, all the good planning and ideas may just fade into insignificance if you happen across the right dog.
When my pup died a couple of months ago I had just bought a 45 lb bag of dog food which I hadn't opened... and apparently also hadn't taken the receipt. I went to the local shelter which had a sign saying they were closed, but to leave unopened food donations by the door. They apparently let the cats run free in the office area, and one was making eyes at me the way they do, all of the time I was there.
I'm not a cat peraon. I've had two in my younger days and they both ran off. Yet I was thankful the place was closed, or I might have brought that feline home. ☺️

/ Help us choose a dog #44  
Check out the Portuguese Water Dog.

GSD is my favorite, but since they don't suit your needs, perhaps these will.

/ Help us choose a dog #45  
Quick facts:

1. Semi-rural/suburban family of four with a nice big yard. Kids are 10 and 14.
2. Our last two dogs lived 16 and 20 years, respectively. They were great dogs, but as cold as this sounds... I'm not looking for another 20 year dog. I want to be retired and traveling before then! Looking for a good ~12 year dog!
3. Looking for a nice mid-size dog that's not destructive. This can't be a dog that wants to claw through the front door every time a squirrel wanders by, or one with severe separation anxiety issues when we go out for an evening.
4. House full of allergy sufferers, who are also dog lovers. Labs are my favorite (I grew up with labs), but obviously not an option, due to massive shedding and dander. Likewise with shepherds, and oddly enough... poodles! Yeah, I know, poodles are supposed to by hypoallergenic, but there's an oil in their skin that makes my forearms break out in rash. Weird. We seem to all do well with short-haired dogs, which don't have an undercoat, as the undercoat (shepherds, labs, retrievers, huskies) is what usually carries all of the dander.

Would like to just go to ASPCA or other shelter and pick something, and may still try that, but fitting all these criteria is more challenging with that route. If buying a breed, looking mostly at short-haired mid-sized dogs. Vizsla in particular caught our eye, as hitting most or all of the marks, despite having been originally bread as a hunting dog.

My best friend in high school had a Vizla. Major separation anxiety....completely tore their house up. Even had to have a new window put in beacuse he chewed the sheetrock down to the framing around the bottom 1/2 of it. Destroyed a couch...I mean all of the cushions. High energy.
Pass.

/ Help us choose a dog #46  
Check out the Portuguese Water Dog.

GSD is my favorite, but since they don't suit your needs, perhaps these will.

Same here GSD all the way. After having such a smart dog I am not sure we could settle again (we have had other breeds as well in the past). GSD is absolutely a handful...but they are amazing.

/ Help us choose a dog #47  
Not all golden retrievers are double coated. Our current dog is not, I believe they are what is referred to as "field bred", either that or there is some Irish Setter in there somewhere. In any case he sheds very little, unlike the other Goldens we have had. He is very dark red with silky soft fur, not supposed to be a desirable color for show, he's a pet and companion and we love him.

Attachments

• 20231009_172820.jpg
    20231009_172820.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
   / Help us choose a dog #48  

I understand that. Hopefully you could explain that to the children first (easier said than done). As a kid our first was a terrier, and it was mean! After a few days Dad found a new home. I think breeds may generally have personality traits but like people they're all different. My in laws neighbor had a pit bull...lots can be mean, this one just wanted love. Our Golden was very kind hearted and ran with me when I rode my bike. One day this Rottweiler charged out to bite me. "Golda" grabbed back of his neck and threw him back in his yard! I couldn't believe it...

/ Help us choose a dog #49  
If you are interested in a bulldog (or Bulldogge) only a few hours away from you is Long Island Bulldog Rescue they are a good group (for the most part)...

We have owned (4) Boxers, (2) Rottweilers, (2) Dobermans, a Gorden setter, (7) Bulldogs [English & Olde English] & have fostered & rescued multiple other breeds over the years. My wife has been in the industry (not breeding) since she was 16 & she is now... (I'm not revealing that) but a long time... Currently looking for a great Rotti breeder but have 3 Bullies currently... (my wife license plate is "Bullie") so there is that...

If you like English Bulldogs but want something a little more robust (outdoorsy) & healthy (for a bulldog) look at Olde English Bulldogges, kind of a mix of both worlds. I will say Bulldogs are great but they have their issues (health & others)... & we know them (don't think we will ever be without one); but all the dogs list above that we have had the privilege of being part of our lives have one issue or another... wouldn't trade the the experience or joy any one of them has added to our lives...

/ Help us choose a dog #50  
Didn't go too far down the pages; but I'm a fan of beagles (if you can take the howls), German Shepard (probably too much shedding, and they want to be active), and pit bulls (they get a bad rap, but ones we've had have all been a bit slow, friendly, and kinda lazy, short hair, medium-large breed, not extremely long lived, and not so inbreed like some of the designer breeds); or mutts with a bit of beagle or hound.

Edit: I don't think we have ever had a dog make it 12 years... sure, I've seen plenty, but had a beagle-dachsund that made it about 10; pit that made it 7; Doberman that made it 9; currently have a beagle-jack russel-unknown in good health at 9 years, and a German Shepard at 3. Wife had a jack russel-rottie mix, but it was a loose cannon, and had to leave. I'll catch a Lot of heat for saying this; and maybe rightfully so; but you know a dog isn't a keeper at 2 years; and I'm not going to put up with a problem animal for another 10-15 years... Life's too short to have a liability.

On the life span thing; we aren't vet kinda people, not going to spend $5k treating a sick dog; they get a respectful hole and a one way walk.

Last edited: