Help w/Fixed Driveline Shaft (mid PTO)

/ Help w/Fixed Driveline Shaft (mid PTO) #1  

moship

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST 4x4 Kubota L4740-3 HST
I am in the process of mounting a used snow blower to my L3130 and need help with the fixed drive line shaft as shown in the attachment (item 4).

Why? The used quick hitch and driveline came off of a L4330 which is physically longer than my L3130. The only difference between the quick hitch/drivetrain assembly of the two tractor sizes is the shaft referenced above.

How can you help?
1. Owners of L3x30 and L3x40. Measure your drive shaft, so I can modify the length of the one I have. Please be precise.
2. If you have one you are not using and would like to sell, I am interested.

Yes, Kubota sells the part, but my pockets are not deep enough to pay for a new one when I can modify the one I have. The savings can be used elsewhere.

Reference info:
The needed driveline shaft is part of L2182 Drive Line Kit for the following models L3240, L3540, L3130, L3430, L3830.

This is the only modification left to mount the L2185 snow blower and snow is in the forecast!

Thanks

Attachments

• Fixed Driveline.png
    Fixed Driveline.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 188
   / Help w/Fixed Driveline Shaft (mid PTO) #2  
Suggestion #1A: Why not just use a tape measure, piece of string or a broom handle?

Suggestion #1B: Since its not the same part set as what would come with your tractor, put it together minus the shaft, measure the pin to pin distance and be done with it.

Suggestion #2: Take curent shaft to the dealer. Compare your shaft to their shaft on the countertop. Record butt to butt lengths. Subtract. Write down difference. Thank dealer for help. Go home. Disassemble shaft #4. Remove amount of shaft recorded in previous step. Reassemble shaft using required fittings and or weldment. Install shaft onto tractor #2. Start engine and blow snow.

Time's awasting. Don't forget to paint the modified parts...

/ Help w/Fixed Driveline Shaft (mid PTO)
zzvyb6,

All very good ideas and are fall back positions for me.

The only time I have to work on this is on the weekends, by myself and in the elements. If someone had the correct length, I could modify inside and save precious time.

2. Dealer does not have one in stock and no other technical information about the part is divulged in the parts database.

Still looking for help.

Regards,

/ Help w/Fixed Driveline Shaft (mid PTO) #4  
Gotta agree. It would be faster and more accurate if you mounted the blower and made the measurement.

Not to knock people in general but I trust my measurements more than someone else. I've seen people who work with measurements for a living and still have a hard time with accuracy, or have their own system of measuring.

/ Help w/Fixed Driveline Shaft (mid PTO) #5  
I just went the other way. I had a 3130 and now have a 5740. I bought the whole kit and kick myself in the buttocks now. I should have just ordered the part. I ordered the whole 600 kit and should have ordered the 235 dollar part. PM me if you are interested in my shorter shaft. I have one. This shaft was part of the L2182 kit. By the way, that is the only difference. I just swapped the slip shaft. Also, if you cut it, you need to balance it as it will be spinning very fast. That is the reason I did not lenghten mine. Spend more balancing it and extending it at a driveshaft shop. I wish I would have met you 1 month ago.

/ Help w/Fixed Driveline Shaft (mid PTO)
alaskakubota,

Sent private message.