Help with 1845

/ Help with 1845 #11  
ernemats said:
I think some of your ideas helped. A good cleaning of the cooling fins helped . the high temperature issue and cleaning the battery terminals and ground connectors seems to make the volt meter read higher. Now another question the brake tender will not pump up by hand over 500 psi and it should go up to 2,000psi to adjust brakes. When running with the brake tender off the psi varries from about 800 to 1,800 psi which Terry said it should run. Terry thinks either a brake hose leak or the accumilator needs charged. I can not find any leaks in the brake lines, has anyone any experience getting accumulator charged?

If that accumulator is nitrogen charged, I believe they are precharged at the factory, and if they leak, it will have to be replaced.

I believe that some accumulators have a large spring to maintain pressure.

I don't think the accumulator can be charged by just anyone. It would take special equipment and training, also, it may be detrimental to your health if the correct procedure is not followed. You are talking about up to 3000 to 5000 psi. The way to tell if the accumulator is bad, is to know the pressure of the accumulator, and try and pump some hyd fluid into it, with a good pump, and test gage, and see if it will hold pressure.

If you can not pump up the accumulator, there could be 4 or 5 reasons why. Bad pump, relief valve leaking, brake line leaking, accumulator bad. bad motor brake, etc.

Last edited:
   / Help with 1845
Answer to Duane yes I still have the 422 and as of now I have 1,272 hours on it and it is still going strong. I bought the 1845 slope mower to get the mowing done faster and a lot of what I mow is a little steeper than what the 422 will mow side slope, 30 degree plus some places. I had been using a weed eater or my Gravely L-8 with dual wheels .
Answer to J J. I don't think I would want to tackle the accumulator myself. When I use the hand pump the max. pressure I can get is 500 psi after that all the pumping you do does not raise the pressure. When you change the handle to the brake possition you hear pressure being released and then it sounds like fluid going back to the hydraulic tank. Also when pumping the hand pump there is little resistance, it feels like pumping an old tire pump that the plunger seal is bad .I cannot find any leaks in the brake lines or brakes but there is oil in the bottom of the tub but where it is coming from I cannot tell.

/ Help with 1845 #13  
ernemats said:
Answer to Duane yes I still have the 422 and as of now I have 1,272 hours on it and it is still going strong. I bought the 1845 slope mower to get the mowing done faster and a lot of what I mow is a little steeper than what the 422 will mow side slope, 30 degree plus some places. I had been using a weed eater or my Gravely L-8 with dual wheels .
Answer to J J. I don't think I would want to tackle the accumulator myself. When I use the hand pump the max. pressure I can get is 500 psi after that all the pumping you do does not raise the pressure. When you change the handle to the brake possition you hear pressure being released and then it sounds like fluid going back to the hydraulic tank. Also when pumping the hand pump there is little resistance, it feels like pumping an old tire pump that the plunger seal is bad .I cannot find any leaks in the brake lines or brakes but there is oil in the bottom of the tub but where it is coming from I cannot tell.

Try some of that leak detector from NAPA for oil or hyd fluid, and you will need a black light to see the leak.

/ Help with 1845
I think the overheating problem has been solved just did a good cleaning of the fins on the cooler , it looked clean before but cleaning with degreaser and water produced a lot more dirt. The starting issue when hot seems to be some better but not sure as I now have other problems. Mowing Saturday I started hearing a noise in front rt. wheels , on my way back to the house I noticed the wheels wobbling. I stopped and walked home got a jack and wrenches and went back. I thought the lug nuts were loose , well to my shock 4 of the 5 lug bolts were broken. I finally got it back to my garage and took hub off and am trying to get broken bolts out, while doing this I checked brake pads the outside pad was ok but the inner pads were down to bare metal so I decided to change them. The front was not too bad but the rear are the problem, the outer pads came off ok but the inner pads are loose but there is not enough room to get them out from between the frame and the brake cylinder, Terry said I will probably have to drop the wheel unit. Has anyone ever changed their brakes on the 1845 or 1850?

/ Help with 1845
Just an update on my 1845, I removed all the hubs, took all brake pads off , removed rear wheel motor , removed brake tender and accumulator. I am planning to stop at Tazewell next week on my way home from my sons and have brake tender and accumulater checked and have seal replaced on wheel motor and picking up necessary parts. I am attaching some pictures if they work.

Attachments

• Copy of pt 1845 002.jpg
    Copy of pt 1845 002.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 142
  • pt 1845 001.jpg
    pt 1845 001.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 151
   / Help with 1845 #16  
It looks like there is an accumulator visible in the front view. If I am correct the location on your machine is different than machines built later. On mine, built in 2002, the accumulator is located on the rear frame wall.

/ Help with 1845
Yes the accumulator is located on the front right in front of the brake tender. That picture was taken before I removed the brake tender and accumulator.

/ Help with 1845
I got back from Tazewell early Saturday morning, I got the parts I needed to put the 1845 back together. Terry checked the accumulator and it had a hole in it so I got a new one. The brake tender was checked and rebuilt and the seal in the wheel motor was replaced. It took them less than an hour to repair and check the components. While they worked on my parts I talked to Chris and checked out the new 1845's. they have made a lot of changes in the new ones eliminated the external brakes, now have hydraulic treddle control, eliminated some hydraulic lines and changed the hydraulic connections for the attachments like the boom mower.
I enjoyed the visit to Tazewell and the staff that I talked to were very helpful and friendly. Now I just have to finish putting the 1845 back together.

/ Help with 1845
One more question about the finish mower on 1845. Is it typical for the blades to revolve slowly when the tractor is running but the pto switch is off? Mower motor has 3 hoses connected see attachment.

Attachments

• pt 1845.jpg
    pt 1845.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 112
   / Help with 1845 #20  
No.

The third hose in front is a case drain on the hydraulic motor.

All the best,

Peter

Oh, you might want to check to see if the PTO valve has some debris stuck in it, but don't overtighten it when you reassemble it.

One more question about the finish mower on 1845. Is it typical for the blades to revolve slowly when the tractor is running but the pto switch is off? Mower motor has 3 hoses connected see attachment.