Help with 220 V outlets

/ Help with 220 V outlets #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I am in a situation where I need to power my 220 V table saw or jointer using my Miller Bobcat as a power source. It has a Nema 14-50 3 pole 4 wire outlet. My saw has a standard 220 V Nema 6-15 plug. How can I do this. Can I make an extension cord with these plugs and receptacles to adapt. This is not a permanent situation but for temporary use. Any way to make a box that I can plug both saw and jointer into simultaneously? Only one would be used at a time. If so, using what size cable or wire?

/ Help with 220 V outlets #2  
I would either use 12 gauge, 20 amps normal capacity, or 10 gauge , 30 amp capacity,

I have made adaptors similar for getting to power for other applications, one could use a dryer or range pig tail, what ever one has the correct end.

/ Help with 220 V outlets #4  
If you want to be able to plug them both in, I would make an extension cord with an electrical box at the end with two outlet sockets in it.

/ Help with 220 V outlets #5  
The 14-series are intended for use with 125/250VAC. The 14-50 will carry 50A.
You will have 4 screw terminals on the devices, 2 brass colored, one silver, and one green. The 2 brass screws are the 2 hot wires (usually red and black), the silver screw is the neutral (white wire), and the green screw is ground (green or bare copper wire).
I agree with Ken45101, make an extension cord.

/ Help with 220 V outlets #6  
To expand on Ken's and VietNamVet's answers, things like saws, etc, that do NOT have onboard electronic controls, if they are 240 volt they only need two hot wires and ground.

In 240 volt circuits, the ground is just for safety and the two hot wires each will measure 120 volts to ground - BUT, since they are 180 degrees out of phase, you will get 240 volts ACROSS the two hot leads.

Your 4-wire from the bobcat has two hot's, a ground AND a neutral - the neutral is only needed for 120 volt circuits, which would use EITHER of the two hot wires and Neutral for 120 volts, PLUS the ground. Ground is STILL only for safety, no current should EVER flow thru ground under normal circumstances.

So, if you make up a multi-plug extension cord and one of the receptacles is matched to your 3-wire 240 volt Nema 6-15 male, you would use both hot wires and GROUND, not neutral.

Same for any welder outlet if it's older, transformer type and only has 3 leads.

For what you want to do, I'd use #8 SO cord for the main cord into your multi-outlet box, connect it to the 6-50 receptacle, then if things are tight you can use #12 from the 6-50 to the 6-15 receptacle.

Newer, inverter type welders typically use a Nema 6-50 THREE wire - this is kind of a grey area to me (due to the electronics), whether to use Neutral or Ground on the non-hot lead - I've always used ground, no problems so far with MIG, TIG or PLASMA machines.

I figure if they wanted you to deviate from that, they'd put a FOUR wire plug on 'em... Steve