Help with Cartridge Valve

/ Help with Cartridge Valve #1  

David Devuono

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200
I purchased a cartridge vavle assembly to split my 16 GPM flow into equal 8GPM flows. I bought a vavle designed to split 20GPM into two equal 10GPM flows.

The input port (3) is sized the same as the two output ports? The input and output are all ORB8 fittings. So I am looking at going from an 3/4 inch hose from my pump to ORB8? Why use all these big hoses if the components have such small orfices?

What is port 1 at the bottom used for? It has a larger orfice then ports 2, 3 and 4.

Should I be going back for a larger Valve body or should I put this under my seat as a seat warmer?

Attachments

• Cartridge Body.jpg
    Cartridge Body.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 85
   / Help with Cartridge Valve #2  
Might be a relief cartridge port.

The small orifice is there to reduce the flow.

/ Help with Cartridge Valve #3  
David,

If it's a flow divider it should have only three ports....Flow in, Controlled flow, extra flow.....

Where's the cartridge that screws in..?..What are the numbers..?

/ Help with Cartridge Valve #5  
Is that a princess auto valve? It looks similar to what they sell and if you're from Brampton it is close by. They sell a 24GPM cartridge valve with 4 ports, requiring 1 to be plugged.
Cartridge systems often have general purpose bodies, so you may not use one port, also the porting is generic to any number of functions; ideally you spec the port sizes you want. If you are buying something off the shelf they may not be speced right.

/ Help with Cartridge Valve #6  
If that is a Hydra-Force, or Sun, etc Flow divider Port 1 or the bottom port is plugged and not used. Use caution when applying these valves because if flow is blocked in one port, flow stops out both ports. Always have a relief before the flow divider to prevent Oh Sh*ts from happening.

Roy

/ Help with Cartridge Valve #7  
If that is a Hydra-Force, or Sun, etc Flow divider Port 1 or the bottom port is plugged and not used. Use caution when applying these valves because if flow is blocked in one port, flow stops out both ports. Always have a relief before the flow divider to prevent Oh Sh*ts from happening.

Roy

Ha ha ha!
Roy, that is part of Murphy's Law.

/ Help with Cartridge Valve #8  

Roy

I don't quite follow your logic with the ports. Each of the divider ports have an orifice which will allow a certain amount of fluid to flow out. If you block one , and I don't know why you would, you would still have flow out the other orifice.

/ Help with Cartridge Valve
I did by it from PA in Brampton and the guy there is pretty good. I am just concerned the input orfice is too small. The cartridge vavle has three rows of holes circliing it. The top and bottom for the outputs and the middle lines up to the input. The sum of the circling holes is larger then the input orfice. If I keep this vavle, I just may drill that orfice a size larger to match the ORB8 connector (if required). I will have a PRV in front of the divider. Its just that I have a pump output port of 12 ORB and motor spools in\out at 3/4 NPT and this divider being the apparant restriction (at least visually) in my system. Its possible that it is what it is and and I should not worry. I guess I will know if the divider runs hot that its too small.

/ Help with Cartridge Valve #10  
I don't quite follow your logic with the ports. Each of the divider ports have an orifice which will allow a certain amount of fluid to flow out. If you block one , and I don't know why you would, you would still have flow out the other orifice.

JJ
if this is a cartridge type flow divider that would fit in a body like the picture on the first post they are pressure compensated flow dividers and work on pressure drop across a control orifice, so as pressure builds in one work port the flow is still split evenly. If the flow is blocked in one work port the pressure drop goes to zero. Any flow out the other work port creates a pressure imbalance and the control spool shifts over and blocks that port.

See attachment of a Delta Power Co. valve and read the notes / cautions.

Roy

Attachments

• DG-FDA.pdf
    121.1 KB · Views: 143