help with drive belt?

/ help with drive belt? #1  

jaotguy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ariens
Up here (Canada), we have Canadian Tire Stores ... AKA mastercraft equipment

I've got a 1988 rear motor 5 HP mastercraft (MTD?) mower that ate the drive belt ( not the deck ) and I cant find the "size" anywhere ...

60-1798 or 138 400 515a machine ...

anyone know the correct size ? A37 A38 ... ?

/ help with drive belt? #3  
from another site I learned that "MTD owns and produces the Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard-Man, White, and Bolens brands of lawn and garden tractors."

perhaps that also will help with locating a new drive belt. did you keep the destroyed belt ?

the serial numbers/ product codes tend to be on the edge, repeated several times. I had Lordco (BC autoparts) match the shredded belt with one of their generic ones. the length was compared with a new belt, until the sizes were correct. so far that replacement belt has worked fine for more than a year.

/ help with drive belt?
the belt is shredded ( no markings visible ) cords and rubber are broken , so no way to check for original length.

none of the local shops ( and there are a lot ) can help ... we need a model number to "look up" the belt number ... the machine is old and there are no listings for it .... if they can't see it on their computers , it doesn't exist .... ( the joys of having a machine over 25 years old )

yes MTD made the machine ( as per the number listed above ) still there are no "belt listings" for it.

yes I can buy 10 or 15 belts of different sizes and return the ones I don't need , but I thought I'd ask first if anyone knew the size.

I could lift the machine , drop the deck , measure the "approximate" size, drop the machine , clean up, go to town and buy belts, come back home , raise the machine and get dirty for the second time .... but I'd prefer to only crawl under it once to change the belt ( I'm old and grumpy ;) )

/ help with drive belt? #5  
not sure if this will be helpful but this is what I found ...

Lawn & Garden Power Equipment Directory
Canadian Tire - MTD Canadian Model Cross Reference

60-1798 137-400-515
60-1798 138-400-515
60-1798 139-400-515
60-1798 139-400

(not sure about the "a" referenced after the number, as none of these list that)

http://www.mtdproducts.ca/equipment/mtdproductsca

Online Tech Support

Canada
This technical support is for Canadian models only. Models sold in the U.S. and other countries may use part numbers not available in Canada.
Phil Maznyk pmaznyk@mtdproducts.com
Senior Technical Advisor, Service & Education Division

Reid Wilson rwilson@mtdproducts.com
National Service Manager

1-800-668-1238
Mon. - Fri. 8AM - 5PM EST

you indicated a rear motor 5 hp machine, I understood that to be a ride-on, but that hp seems low. does it looks something like a neighbourhood rider?
13A226JD897_product_listing.png

cheers

/ help with drive belt?
yep ,,, that's where I got the 2 numbers posted at the top

both are "obsolete" units...

now try to find ANY belt references any where on the net .... or from any repair shop ( yes they called tech support and were told I'm SOL)

I know folks are trying to be helpful , but what I really need is IF someone has a similar unit , please take a look and give me the belt # or size ...

I'm sliding under it later today and will guestimate the belt if I have to ....:rolleyes:

/ help with drive belt? #7  
Is this any help ??? L435 Check out the dayco.com as I didn't get the exact model # . You could buy a plain 1/2 by 35" outside length also called a A33.

/ help with drive belt?
yup ... just got finished putting one on ... got a 33 -34-35-36 and 37 to try ... the 35" fit right in the middle of the adjustment ( I got it on and cut the grass before checking the forum again ) Thanks to everyone for looking...:thumbsup: