Help with E308L-16 rod

/ Help with E308L-16 rod #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
I picked up some "cheep" stainless 1x2 tubing for a fab job I want to do and got some E308/308L-16 3/32 rod. To say I am frustrated is an understatement. I have welded all my life and I can't get a good weld. Even with a wide zig zag the arc will stay on the side I started on and I get a weld on one side only. tilting the rod does not help, it is like the flux is keeping the arc from jumping to the other side. Any help will be appreciated. I was running at 70 amps, what the box recommended, and reversing polarity did not help.

/ Help with E308L-16 rod #2  
WOW! That is so strange!:confused3: Generally stainless steel SMAW is pretty easy.
Here is some 316L-16 I got in the early 1970s, couple years ago I came across it and gave it a try.

Attachments

• 316L-16.jpg
    316L-16.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Fillet.jpg
    Fillet.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Lap 1.jpg
    Lap 1.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Lap 2.jpg
    Lap 2.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 124
   / Help with E308L-16 rod #3  
I picked up some "cheep" stainless 1x2 tubing for a fab job I want to do and got some E308/308L-16 3/32 rod. To say I am frustrated is an understatement. I have welded all my life and I can't get a good weld. Even with a wide zig zag the arc will stay on the side I started on and I get a weld on one side only. tilting the rod does not help, it is like the flux is keeping the arc from jumping to the other side. Any help will be appreciated. I was running at 70 amps, what the box recommended, and reversing polarity did not help.

Have you tried moving the ground? Maybe the "other" piece is not well grounded. Could you attach the ground directly to the work piece, maybe the side that seems "cold"?

/ Help with E308L-16 rod #4  
Move your work clamp around. This can create a "hunting" effect when welding if the workclamp is in a bad place or it's not directly clamped to the metal being welded. You can try about 7 or 8 amps more and see if it improves as well.

/ Help with E308L-16 rod
Have you tried moving the ground? Maybe the "other" piece is not well grounded. Could you attach the ground directly to the work piece, maybe the side that seems "cold"?
They are already welded sort of welded together. Thanks.

/ Help with E308L-16 rod
I have a cheep Smart tools brand, 110 volt welder could that be it?

/ Help with E308L-16 rod #7  
I have a cheep Smart tools brand, 110 volt welder could that be it?

Sure, could be over rated. Up the power and see what happens. If you have a piece of scrap, try really increasing the power until you burn through, then back off.

/ Help with E308L-16 rod
One other thing I just remembered, I had to run the end of my rod below the surface of the flux to keep an arc. That would go along with what several of you have said. thanks I will try it again tomorrow.

/ Help with E308L-16 rod #9  
The "Smarter" tools brand looks great...but from our evaluation of the product, it did not perform well for us in our testing. Their amperage seems to be off if I remember right as they use "chinese" amp ratings...whatever that is. With stainless steel, you do keep your arc pretty much in the puddle...never long arc it unless you like porosity. You probably want to bump it up 10 amps or so over the 70 amps to get it to burn right.

/ Help with E308L-16 rod
Thanks mark will try that today, if I get a chance.