Help With Leaking PTO Seal on John Deere 430

/ Help With Leaking PTO Seal on John Deere 430 #1  

Suburban Plowboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710
I have a 1992 John Deere 430. I bought it used. Works fine. I had a mechanic look at it before I bought it, and he said the only issue was a hydraulic oil leak around the rear PTO seal. He said the repair involved a cheap seal, and he seemed confident that I could do it myself. I need to fix it, because oil is staining my driveway.

Can anyone here point me in a direction where I can find info on the part I need and how to install it? I've been Googling pretty hard, and I can't find anything. A long time ago, I Googled, and a seal kit popped right up. I let it go, and now I can't locate it.

/ Help With Leaking PTO Seal on John Deere 430 #2  
Go to jdparts and put your model no. in, parts will pop up.. here is a pic of the rear end Shows the gasket that you may want (key #9).

Or maybe the seal (key #19) which is part # M86229.

There is a repair kit AM39995 but I'd check with your Deere dealer to see what is in that kit.

Attachments

• 430_pto_rear.jpg
    430_pto_rear.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 215
   / Help With Leaking PTO Seal on John Deere 430
Thanks for the help. Can you tell which way that group of parts is facing? I can't tell the rear from the front.

/ Help With Leaking PTO Seal on John Deere 430 #4  
Look close for the "direction of travel" arrow.. almost cut it off when I cropped the image.

And think you should be able to use this link to jdparts to look up the same image.
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/

So "direction of travel" is Deerese for "front"! I was able to find the diagram, but I didn't know which way was which.

/ Help With Leaking PTO Seal on John Deere 430 #6  
Yup, guess one has to assume that "direction of travel" is Forward.. and not reverse.. ;)

When will you launch into the tear-down? Take some pics and post your progress, as it will be good for the TBN archives..

I'm still not sure if I know what I need, and I don't know how to do the repair. Still looking around.

/ Help With Leaking PTO Seal on John Deere 430 #8  
Is it a working tractor, that you use now to do weekly chores such as lawn mowing? If so, you likely don't want to venture into it blind..

But if being out of working order for up to couple weeks isn't a problem, then suggest you drain the tranny oil, take a pic or two, post it here and let your TBN members walk you through it. That is if you want to know by doing it. There will be bolts holding the cover (key #4) on, and seals to remove and replace along with the cover gasket (key #4). But doubt much more, and if you have a Deere dealer with a parts dept. available you won't have to wait long for parts (and Amazon is pretty handy too within a couple days or so). With posts and pics, think we can walk you through this..

It's a half-hour job for some, but know how you feel when it is the "first time" . Up to you to decide.. May help to get a dealer estimate in advance as incentive. ;)

I have to apologize. Today I had someone operate the hydraulics while I watched. The oil is leaking out of the rear of the hydraulic cylinder which is below and to the left of the seat. I could have sworn the mechanic said it was the PTO.

So...how do I get started? Should I try to find a service manual? I'm sure I can replace the seals on a hydraulic cylinder, provided nothing is marred, but I will need information to get the cylinder out and reinstall it.

Well, I found a manual online. The cylinder which is leaking is called a rockshaft cylinder. New term for me. The manual says to replace it if it leaks. I don't even know if that's possible for a 1992 tractor. Hard to believe it can't be repaired.