Help with NH TC18 Hydraulic Leak

/ Help with NH TC18 Hydraulic Leak #1  

BigPapaGotti

Tractor
New Holland TC18
I'm new to this forum and see there is a wealth of information available with tons of helpful people. I am posting here to hopefully get some help in providing me with some information to repair my New Holland TC18 tractor.

I seem to be leaking fluid near the Hydrostatic Transmission Assembly. Unfortunately I cannot find exactly where its sourcing from but, I do see where its pooling and dripping below the tractor. I have a couple of pictures that I will upload in hopes someone can help identify for me. This is located in the middle of the tractor (underside) between the steering wheel and the seat.

I think I need to split the tractor but I'm not sure of the proper procedure for doing this. Does anyone have a service repair manual they can share with me for a New Holland TC18?

Appreciate any and all help!

Attachments

• PXL_20220408_211856170.jpg
    PXL_20220408_211856170.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20220408_211839646.jpg
    PXL_20220408_211839646.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20220408_211846585.jpg
    PXL_20220408_211846585.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
   / Help with NH TC18 Hydraulic Leak #2  
I'm new to this forum and see there is a wealth of information available with tons of helpful people. I am posting here to hopefully get some help in providing me with some information to repair my New Holland TC18 tractor.

I seem to be leaking fluid near the Hydrostatic Transmission Assembly. Unfortunately I cannot find exactly where its sourcing from but, I do see where its pooling and dripping below the tractor. I have a couple of pictures that I will upload in hopes someone can help identify for me. This is located in the middle of the tractor (underside) between the steering wheel and the seat.

I think I need to split the tractor but I'm not sure of the proper procedure for doing this. Does anyone have a service repair manual they can share with me for a New Holland TC18?

Appreciate any and all help!

I unfortunately do not have a shop manual for you.

First off can you determine if it is engine oil or transmission fluid? If it is engine oil then it would be the rear main seal of the engine. If it is transmission oil then likely either or both of the seals for the input shaft of the transmission and the output shaft for the front drive axle if so equipped.

Splitting a tractor of that size and vintage should not be too difficult I would think. Depending on how severe the leak is you could wait until it gets worse.

/ Help with NH TC18 Hydraulic Leak
I have confirmed that this is transmission fluid. Appears to be the wrong transmission fluid too. The Manual calls for NH 134. What I believe is being used is "Super S 303 Tractor Hydraulic Fluid" The label on the back of the 2.5 gallon jug states that its not suitable for use in equipment manufactured since 1974. No where on the label do I see that it states 134 compatible.

I purchased some Shell Rotella Hydraulic and Transmission fluid from Tractor Supply. The Technical Data Sheet states that is compatible with 134A-D so that should be a good replacement.

I planned on flushing out the Super S 303 fluid and using the Shell fluid, but it is pretty pricey and don't want to let it leak out causing me to have to buy another 5 gallon bucket for $80. Prolly worth it though before some real damage is done with the wrong fluid. Bad thing is last year I think that 303 fluid was used the full mowing season.

The leak is not terrible but is something I wanted to fix up while the transmission is flushed out but I never split a tractor before and I can only imagine the number of gaskets and o rings that I will need to replace along the way.

I'm going to try and track down a service manual to see if I can determine how involved this process is. May ask a friend if he has done this sort of thing as he owns about 12 tractors working on a farm. But his tractors are much larger in size compared to my little New Holland.

/ Help with NH TC18 Hydraulic Leak #4  
@BigPapaGotti - I've purchased from this place before.... you can shop around but their pricing is usually pretty fair. Just make sure the manual is for model & covers your year TC18...

NH TC18 Manual

/ Help with NH TC18 Hydraulic Leak #5  
I have confirmed that this is transmission fluid. Appears to be the wrong transmission fluid too. The Manual calls for NH 134. What I believe is being used is "Super S 303 Tractor Hydraulic Fluid" The label on the back of the 2.5 gallon jug states that its not suitable for use in equipment manufactured since 1974. No where on the label do I see that it states 134 compatible.

I purchased some Shell Rotella Hydraulic and Transmission fluid from Tractor Supply. The Technical Data Sheet states that is compatible with 134A-D so that should be a good replacement.

I planned on flushing out the Super S 303 fluid and using the Shell fluid, but it is pretty pricey and don't want to let it leak out causing me to have to buy another 5 gallon bucket for $80. Prolly worth it though before some real damage is done with the wrong fluid. Bad thing is last year I think that 303 fluid was used the full mowing season.

The leak is not terrible but is something I wanted to fix up while the transmission is flushed out but I never split a tractor before and I can only imagine the number of gaskets and o rings that I will need to replace along the way.

I'm going to try and track down a service manual to see if I can determine how involved this process is. May ask a friend if he has done this sort of thing as he owns about 12 tractors working on a farm. But his tractors are much larger in size compared to my little New Holland.

Please let us know how it goes!! And feel free to add pictures if you can.. We all love pictures!!