Mowing HELP - Woods 72" Finish Mower - Belt broke

/ HELP - Woods 72" Finish Mower - Belt broke #1  

rvb

Tractor
MF 135, MF 383, JD 5085e, Gehl 4835 SXT
HELP - Woods 72\" Finish Mower - Belt broke

How hard is it to put a new belt on? Do I have to take the whole gear assembly and driveshaft off to be able to replace the belt?

/ HELP - Woods 72" Finish Mower - Belt broke #2  
Re: HELP - Woods 72\" Finish Mower - Belt broke

Do you have a manual? If so, read the instructions for changing the belt.

Normally, it's a matter of loosening a belt idler (look for a spring pulling a roller) and mounting the belt, then tightening that idler.

Woods does have online manuals, by the way. Go to this web site and follow the links to the manuals, then find your model number.

If your tractor has a loader, it is easier on your back if you lift the mower with the tractor. Use jack stands under that mower! or use the loader to lift one side high and roll it so the mower would fall away from you if it slipped.

This isn't a hard job...I replaced my belt on a Befco mower which is quite similar to the Woods brand.

/ HELP - Woods 72" Finish Mower - Belt broke

Thanks. I didn't think it was hard, but my manual just tells how to run the belt. The picture makes it look as if you need to take the drive gear box off to expose all the pulleys. After looking at the procedure, I don't think I'll have to do all that nonsense.

I'll check out the link you posted, though. Thanks again for the reply.

rvb

/ HELP - Woods 72" Finish Mower - Belt broke #4  

When your talking about a gear box, I take you must have a 3 point mounted finish mower as opposed to the L306 72 inch mid mounted mower that I have. Mine has no gearbox and the belt is very easily changed by just loosening two idler pulleys.
If you don't have the manual for your mower, they are available on-line from Woods. No waiting... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif...how did we ever get along without the internet??

No kidding, right?! Anyway, yes my mower is mounted via the 3-point hitch and has a shaft that goes from the PTO down to the gearbox on the mower deck. It spins the main fly-wheel that drives the belt along the pulleys. I've got the new belt and a new set of blades. I'll install them either tonight or tomorrow.

My wife is trying to get me to go eat Mexican food instead of fuss with the tractor. However, my lawn is like a foot high or more. It demands attention. Unless I just let it keep growing and round-bale it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So, Mexican food and beer with the wife or grease, busted knuckles, and still have to wait until tomorrow to mow...hmmmmmmm.

I guess I'll go with Mexican, beer, and the chance to get 'lucky'. The parts, tractor, and lawn will be there tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now the only problem is that when I went to get the parts I saw a bunch of shiney, new John Deere tractors sitting there waiting for me. My New Holland seems small now that I've had it for a year. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I may just have to trade in the TC 30 on a new tractor with hydro-static clutch, a FEL, and more horsepower. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'll let you know what happens with putting the belt on...

Well, mission accomplished. I put the new belt on, some new blades, and now I can keep one set sharpened and ready while the other is on the mower.

I think I'll also order another belt so I can have an extra on-hand as well. Next time it breaks I'll only be down for as long as it takes to install the new one.

rvb