Helping Neighbors is Awsome!

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #51  
I think it's great reading all these stories, but I have a neighbor that I've tried to extend the olive branch to several times and she just doesn't seem to get it. We had several feet of show about 3 years ago. After plowing our private lane I drove over to her drive way and she was shoveling her drive way. I used my bucket loader to dig her our, saving her hours of labor. My neighbors that live right across from her have helped her on numerous occasions. So how has all this good-will worked out? She's posted a "Private Driveway" sign at the end of her driveway, which is directly across from her neighbors drive way, and they need to back into her drive way to turn onto the lane. I've also learned that she is now going to refuse to pay for her share of milling on our common road. Some people just are not nice. They don't want to be nice, and you can't be nice to them and get nice back.

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #52  
I used my bucket loader to dig her our, saving her hours of labor.

So next time you get 3 feet of snow, go put back what you removed last time. :laughing:

What a b!tch!

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #53  
My wife is sick of me loading up the tractor to help my family and friends, but what the heck, I enjoy being out in the sun on my semi-shiny new Mahindra. Every Saturday morning she gets up wondering where I am. I stopped telling her so I could avoid the rolling of the eyes and that look "are you crazy". Truth be told, lots of folks have done lots of nice things for me, and I may not be paying them back, but at least I am paying someone back, and it makes me feel good.

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #54  
I have a neighbor who's husband is deployed for the next 6 months. Their kids have an old bayou 220 4 wheeler that they play around on. She asked me if I could take a look at it because it had developed a gas leak and wouldn't start to boot. Got it all fixed up and repaired a small hole in the tire that was making it go flat while I was at it.

Feels good to help out when I can, especially for the family of a deployed military man.

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #55  
i hear horror stories of neighbors from my friends that live on small lots in the city/burbs. i feel very fortunate to have such good neighbors and like to pay it forward when i can. since moving here to this "rural" burg i have helped a neighbor move 15 yards of gravel to a shed pad, dig a ditch, dig a swale, mow pastures, remove pesky trees, put up fencing, dig out and old stump, etc. it's nice to see the smile on their face as i motor along doing the work..

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #56  
I've only made $50 with my BX since 2005, but there have been lots of food show up at my door step.

92 year old neighbor had a bad sinking problem outside her back porch from new sewer lines. I had 20 cu.yds. of top soil piled in my backyard. 2 hours of work and her yard was level again. Following day a pineapple upside down cake arrived.
78 year old neighbor with no one to take care of her while no good son was in jail for a few years. I leveled out her rear yard from piles of dumped loads and debris into a nice level terrace over looking the river. I then kept it mowed for the next 5 years. She always made me random dinners every few months.

Kept the whole street plowed and driveways cleaned. Just keeping on really good terms with my 5 neighbors. One ungrateful neighbor complained I messed up her gravel parking area, too be honest I did chunk out a spot the size of a beach ball and about 3 inches deep. She was taken off the snow removal list from there on.

Dug about 2 dozen holes with the post hole digger for a guy at work. This was mainly just to use my PHD for the first time. Refused payment but found $50 on my tool box at work the following Monday. Said he had to at least pay for fuel and lunch. It was a 100 mile round trip.

Now in my new neighborhood as of 2010 ( I'm actually born[1964] and raised here but left in 1979 then returned and bought a house in 1986 only to leave again in 1999 then return again in 2010)
New to me neighbor wanted an old railroad tie wall removed. Took about 5 hours. He now helps me whenever I need it.

Older neighbor (I used to take care of her Dad and the yard back in the 80's-90's. The old man used to weld our bicycles or whatever we broke for free, when he got home from work when we were kids) graded their 200ft. driveway after years of neglect. Lots of grill outs have been had.

Newer neighbors came up one day last summer and asked if I would do some work before I returned the Kubota to the rental place. Informed her it was mine and I'd be down right after I finished mowing. They were trying to use a rototiller and shovels to remove about 30 yards of dirt. 4 hours later yard is leveled and sand hauled around back as well. One kickbutt home cooked meal was waiting for me when I finished. Served in her kitchen and she waited on me like a waitress. Great people and the kids made me their new best friend.

I also keep all the snow removed from the roads as I don't want anyone sliding down the hill into my trucks or car.

I had to turn down a foundation dig out, but offered to help get the materials moved around for him.

2 guys showed up out of the blue Thursday to help me unload the F350. They shoveled what the BX couldn't reach or had dropped on the road. One showed up in the 106 degree heat index,last Sunday, to do the shovel work unloading the trailer loaded with #2 limestone gravel. He also gave me a pile of wall building stones he had left over.

Yeah I think I'm gonna like being back in my old stomping grounds. I have neighbors here that moved in when I was a wee little tot and some that were here when I was born. The majority of them were here when I bought this house in 1986 and are still here. All but one are glad I moved back and there is no hope for her at all.

Last edited:
   / Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #57  
I travel out of home for about 200 days of every year, then when I am home I am very busy playing catch up on everything that needs to betaken care of, therefore I do less for my neighbors than they do for me. I owe them a lot over all those years. I am retiring in about 10 months so I am hoping I get a chance to return the favor.

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #58  
Was taking a break from painting the house yesterday when one of my neighbors called on my cell phone. Good thing I had it in my pocket. He was down at another neighbor's house digging out shrubs. The owner of the house he was at has pancreatic cancer and in a wheel chair. The healthy neighbor had worked two hours on removing one shrub and I think he was worn out. Told him I'd be down with the BH in 30 minutes (had to mount it as it was off for 3PH work). Drove the BX25 down and removed 5-6 small shrubs in about 20 minutes. You could see the relief on their faces. The shrubs were up against a low deck, so the owner maneuvered his wheel chair to watch every move. He was really impressed with the power of my small BH. Anyway, felt real good helping him out and told them to let me know anytime they needed help.

By the way, the sick neighbor is in some experimental treatment program and actually looked pretty good. He was diagnosed in January and given six months, so, so far so good. I hope he can beat it.

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #59  
Was taking a break from painting the house yesterday when one of my neighbors called on my cell phone. Good thing I had it in my pocket. He was down at another neighbor's house digging out shrubs. The owner of the house he was at has pancreatic cancer and in a wheel chair. The healthy neighbor had worked two hours on removing one shrub and I think he was worn out. Told him I'd be down with the BH in 30 minutes (had to mount it as it was off for 3PH work). Drove the BX25 down and removed 5-6 small shrubs in about 20 minutes. You could see the relief on their faces. The shrubs were up against a low deck, so the owner maneuvered his wheel chair to watch every move. He was really impressed with the power of my small BH. Anyway, felt real good helping him out and told them to let me know anytime they needed help.

By the way, the sick neighbor is in some experimental treatment program and actually looked pretty good. He was diagnosed in January and given six months, so, so far so good. I hope he can beat it.

Thank-you for doing that. That was really nice. You helped that man's mental outlook, and that is BIG.

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #60  
My neighbor called and said he hit two drain filed lines with a bobcat post hole digger about 4 ft down. I went down and had the lines clear to repair in an hour or so. Don't mind helping. God put us here for something, may as well help the neighbors!!:thumbsup: