Herd f-160 seeder HELP

/ Herd f-160 seeder HELP #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I finally tried out this seeder I picked up at an auction last year. Spread fertilizer over my pasture really well.

Towards the end the seeder stopped spinning. I assumed I had sheared a bolt. After quite a bit of examination, it behaves like I have sheared a bolt. The PTO moves but does not drive the seeder's drive shaft. It just slips over it. Except, I can't find a spot that a normal shear bolt would go through both the PTO shaft end and the seeder's drive shaft.

I see a single hole on the pto shaft end that fits over the seeder's drive shaft. There is nothing in it.

I found a parts diagram on the web here which seems to suggest that a screw (27) belongs there. I can order the screw or pick one up locally, except for the life of me, I can't figure out how this would cause the PTO shaft to not slip over the seeders. It does not look to me like the hole for the screw goes all the way through.

I'm hoping someone with this or similar Herd seeder won't mind looking at theirs to see if it is this screw that acts somewhat like a shear bolt and ensures that the pto shaft spins the seeder's shaft.

/ Herd f-160 seeder HELP #2  
I finally tried out this seeder I picked up at an auction last year. Spread fertilizer over my pasture really well.

Towards the end the seeder stopped spinning. I assumed I had sheared a bolt. After quite a bit of examination, it behaves like I have sheared a bolt. The PTO moves but does not drive the seeder's drive shaft. It just slips over it. Except, I can't find a spot that a normal shear bolt would go through both the PTO shaft end and the seeder's drive shaft.

I see a single hole on the pto shaft end that fits over the seeder's drive shaft. There is nothing in it.

I found a parts diagram on the web here which seems to suggest that a screw (27) belongs there. I can order the screw or pick one up locally, except for the life of me, I can't figure out how this would cause the PTO shaft to not slip over the seeders. It does not look to me like the hole for the screw goes all the way through.

I'm hoping someone with this or similar Herd seeder won't mind looking at theirs to see if it is this screw that acts somewhat like a shear bolt and ensures that the pto shaft spins the seeder's shaft.

I bet it is a set screw that tightens aganist the shaft. Is there a keyway cut in the shaft? Ken Sweet

/ Herd f-160 seeder HELP
I bet it is a set screw that tightens aganist the shaft. Is there a keyway cut in the shaft? Ken Sweet

Ken, thanks for the response. That is indeed what it sounds like.

There is hole in the PTO shaft where it it goes over the drive shaft of the spreader. Is this what you mean by a keyway? The parts diagram said that there is supposed to be a 3/8" x 3/4 setscrew there - which I don't see. Although 3/8 of an inch sounds awful wide.

I think I will try to pick up a set screw and try it out so I can get some seeding done this weekend.

/ Herd f-160 seeder HELP
Ken, forgive my ignorance here. Is this setscrew just supposed to look like a screw with a flat end. Or is it one of those grub type screws where the whole thing is threaded and fits right into the hole with a hex key?

/ Herd f-160 seeder HELP #5  
Ken, forgive my ignorance here. Is this setscrew just supposed to look like a screw with a flat end. Or is it one of those grub type screws where the whole thing is threaded and fits right into the hole with a hex key?

I guess either one would work,however, the one that goes into the hole would be safer. Less chance of getting clothing caught on something exposed or sticking out. Ken Sweet