Here Comes the HEAT

/ Here Comes the HEAT #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
I've been reading the other threads about all that rain in Texas and now Frost for the guys back East.
Out here in Central California foothills we have the HEAT coming. Last week it got into the 90'sF and yesterday it was supposed to get to 102F. It's only mid May. We usually have a camp out for the kids and grandkids on Memorial day. Last year we had T-storms and rain. That was in the 10 day prediction to happen again, but now it's disappeared. Only hot weather from now until Fall. It's not uncommon for us to get 110F days in the Summer here. One good thing is the humidity is below 10%.

Our snow melt in the mountains is so great that the local Lake Kaweah is rising at 2 feet per day and will top off to it's maximum by the end of the month. Then they will drain it for irrigation to the towns below. The three rivers are flowing like crazy. There's lots of river rafting going on from Sequoia Nat Park down to Lake Kaweah. Looks like Summer is taking it's foothold already.
Anybody else looking like a hot Summer coming? What do you do to stay cool?
Rob-

/ Here Comes the HEAT #2  
I saw on the news where it's going into the 100's in Vegas. This morning it was 48 near Birmingham. I had to rummage to find a flannel shirt. It's a bit late in the year for that kind of weather.

When the temp goes over 95 I head for the A/C. The older I get, the less I can take of the heat.

/ Here Comes the HEAT #3  
I can handle the dry heat,but that humidity I lay low. :(

/ Here Comes the HEAT #4  
What do you do to stay cool?
Rob-

Hey Rob,

I'm looking forward to some warm weather. It's ridiculous how cool it is here this year. I'm still wearing a sweatshirt and hat every morning and well into the day. Last night, we were out fishing and I had to quit because I got too cold!!!! I wasn't the only one, the kids were cold, Steph got a chill that she couldn't shake for quite awhile and her dad started up his truck to get the heater going. This is in MAY!!!!!

It rarely gets over 100 hear, but once the weather changes and starts to warm up, it's in the 80 all night and in the 90's during the day. That's just right for me. Rarely does it get too hot outside for me. I'm in it every day, all day long, and I guess I'm just used to it. Last year, we had one day that I had to go hide inside. That was pretty extreme. Of course, it's not the heat that matters, but the humidity. We have allot of that here, and it's what drains you.

Steph and I were in South Dakota a few years ago and having a good old time out exploring the area. We both saw one of those signs with the temperature on it that said it was over 100 degrees out. We thought it was in the 80's and very pleasant outside. I guess it was because it was such a dry heat that we didn't realize it was that hot out, or that we're just used to the heat with humidity and find dry heat to be allot more mild to us.

This weeks forecast here is for the highs to get into the low 80's. I can deal with that, but will struggle until it gets there.

Eddie

/ Here Comes the HEAT #5  
Rob, what are you doing for A/C and can you run it from solar or do you need to run genny? I have 3 mini-split units at our offgrid weekend place that run from solar and all have been "tested" a few times already. Here in Phoenix at 2:20PM it is already 105 .

RavensRoost

/ Here Comes the HEAT #6  
Outside my window in Catt County is was 25 this morning.

/ Here Comes the HEAT #7  
I've been reading the other threads about all that rain in Texas and now Frost for the guys back East.
Out here in Central California foothills we have the HEAT coming. Last week it got into the 90'sF and yesterday it was supposed to get to 102F.

You got that right. It was over 100 in the Sacramento area yesterday.

Unfortunately, I think this is a prelude to a nasty fire season up here.

/ Here Comes the HEAT #8  
Yes, I think this is supposed to be the warmest May on record here. We will probably hit 108* today.

Summers are why I get up so early, I can get my outside work finished by noon, and then hibernate inside the rest of the day.:)

Terry

/ Here Comes the HEAT #9  
We had a hard freeze last week, overnight low of 33.... and we are supposed to hit 96 today... the record high for this date is 93 :eek: Heat came of fast this year.

/ Here Comes the HEAT #10  
Here it is the 18th of May and I have the woodstove cranked up yesterday, last night, all day today, and again tonight. Supposed to be 38 tonight. Thank goodness I have the wood; but still it is weird. At least the garden is totally in, growing, and not another 6 degrees lower.........Dennis