Here's to a more articulated new year!

/ Here's to a more articulated new year! #21  
I stand corrected. That Versatile Bidirectional is a Power Trac all growed up!

/ Here's to a more articulated new year!
If you look at most large wheel loaders, the operator station is on the back half.

The PTs are on the front half.

Ventracs are on the back half.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either.

With it on the rear, you have no doubt where the rear is in relation to the machine, as you are sitting on it. Then you have to follow the front half of the machine around. In a full turn to the right, you my not be able to see the front left of the machine, and have to guess where it is.

With it on the front, you can always see both corners of the front of the machine at all times. The rear half just follows you along with no worries when you're moving forward, as it follows in your same tracks. However, you can lose track of where the rear of the machine is if you do a bunch of quick direction changes without looking behind you. If you're lifting heavy loads and the rears come off the ground, the rear half of the machine may end up right next to you without you even knowing. It's a weird feeling. However, you get used to it and always keep an eye on it in tight quarters.

Backing up long distances on the PT is fairly easy. In fact, I prefer to travel backwards with a full bucket, as I can go the full 8mph in reverse a lot easier than going forward, as if the bucket bounces going forward and hits the ground, the bucket gouges the ground in front of you and tends to stop the machine like brakes, whereas if you're going all-out in reverse, the bucket is trailing and just skids on the ground should you bounce.

So driving forward, I follow the implement. Driving backwards, I follow the rear of the engine cover. It becomes quit natural and 2nd nature in only a short time of operation.

The only articulated machine I've driven with the operator on the rear was a Wheelhorse Airhorse airplane mover. You sit on the hood with the steering wheel between your knees and operate it backwards. Never had to wonder where the rear of the machine was, because you were sitting on it.

I stand corrected. That Versatile Bidirectional is a Power Trac all growed up!

Yes, that's the machine I'd get if I had hobby money. I could have a lot of fun with one of those. Been looking a them for decades. Just don't need that size of a machine.

Ventrac controls
[video]https://www.ventrac.com/video/playlist/PLU6reQZhgG69a60wGztByKJt2uFvOfh3c[/video]

Turn the operator station around and go plow a field

/ Here's to a more articulated new year! #27  
Last edited:
My friend's brother-in-law's cousin, or should I just say "I know a guy" :laughing:, has a versatile with a large hydraulic snow blower on the FEL arms. He owns a dairy farm and only brings it out every few years for the drifts and such. I saw it about 20 years ago, so can't recall any more details than that.

We went to go ice fishing on his pond which is about a mile or so back through fields and woods. We got stuck about 100 yards into the trip. He brought the versatile down the lane, pulled us out, and blew us a path down to the pond and cleared the return path for us. We gave him a few dozen bluegills all filleted and packed in return for the privilege to fish on his pond. :)

/ Here's to a more articulated new year! #29  
I have never wished that I sat on the rear of the tractor instead of the front. There are circumstances where having a non-articulating machine would be a benefit but for me, the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

Ken