Hesston 5510 won't open

/ Hesston 5510 won't open #1  

sequences

Tractor
JD 2040
Hi- got a new to us Hesston 5510 round baler that won't open. It opened when we first checked it out, but noticed very leaky cylinders, so we rebuilt them. Now, with new lines, it would only open and close a little way. Checked the tractor on another piece of equipment, and that worked fine. Thinking we have air in the lines, and tried cycling it many times, but are getting nowhere. Tractor is a JD 2040. Any ideas out there? TIA

/ Hesston 5510 won't open #2  
After cycling it with rebuilt cylinders and new lines you checked hydraulic fluid level in tractor right? Possibly low from sharing fluid with empty lines and cylinders on baler?

/ Hesston 5510 won't open #3  
Have you tried using different male coupler tips on baler hoses? I suggest to get a gauge & check tractor hyd pressure. What your tractor serial #(below or above 266750)?? With air in lines cycling cylinder rod in/out a few cycles should dispel of any internal air in rebuilt cylinders.

/ Hesston 5510 won't open
Put new couplers on the baler, matched to tractor before we started. Checked fluid levels after rebuild and added. Will continue to check. Have a gauge on the tractor, it was reading zero. What pressure level should we have? Tractor serial number 204sa278236L, was built in France. Engine serial number 336496.

/ Hesston 5510 won't open #5  
Does your 2040 have a 3 or 4 cyl engine? JD 2040's were built in Mannheim, Germany. Some JD engines were built in Saran, France. Hyd pressure should be 2250 psi.

Does your 2040 have a 3 or 4 cyl engine? JD 2040's were built in Mannheim, Germany. Some JD engines were built in Saran, France. Hyd pressure should be 2250 psi.
Never had to deal with the engine, but I count 3 exhaust ports. It was built in France. With rock bars down, pressure is zero, with arms up pressure is 2250. Cylinders will move enough to open locks, and pickup gets lifted, but cylinders/door will go no further.

Last edited:
   / Hesston 5510 won't open #7  
Never had to deal with the engine, but I count 3 exhaust ports. It was built in France. With rock bars down, pressure is zero, with arms up pressure is 2250.
JD model 2040 with 3 cylinder engine were built at JD factory in Mannheim, Germany with an engine manufactured in Saran, France(see photos below). I remember when I was employed by JD dealer picking up NEW JD 2040's at the port in Houston. Tx that had been shipped by ship from Germany. I even owned a JD 2040 yrs ago.

What has zero pressure with rock bars lowered?

2250 psi should raise/lower rd baler rear gate.

What HP is recommended to operate a Hesston 5510 baler?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-28 062903.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-28 062903.png
    173.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2022-05-28 063009.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-28 063009.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
   / Hesston 5510 won't open #8  
I would try bleeding the cylinders. I had same issue with my NH round balers. The door would not open sometimes. I think its in the baler, not tractor. There was a procedure I used to do at the cylinders in the back where I’d loosen a fitting and bleed it…..

/ Hesston 5510 won't open #9  
My experience is hyd cylinder can have air removed by cycling piston/rod in/out without the need to loosen lines/hoses. BUT I have no experience with Hesston equipment

Thanks to all. After much testing lines and pressures, we decided to to try pulling (gently) the door open, once the locks were unlatched. Had a chain between the door and a heavy object and leaned on the chain. Door swung free, and then the cylinders had no problem opening the rest of the way. I read somewhere that an empty chamber was more difficult to open, something about the weight of the bale was important to get things moving. Guess they were right. Thanks for the thoughts