Hesston / MF small round baler question

/ Hesston / MF small round baler question #1  

Greyfields

Silver Member
My JD has a 35 HP PTO. I was looking into the Hesston 730 / MF 1734 which does 30-52" diameter bales x 39". It requires a 30 HP PTO. My JD has a 35 HP PTO.

The salesman is telling me that I can go up a level to the Hesston 745 / MF 1745 which requiers a 40 HP PTO. The bales are 30-62" by 46.5". He claims that as long as I don't go to maximum bale diameter, the extra 5 HP is not a problem.

The advantage to me of going up a size is that it has the auto-tie option. So, would it be a wise thing to do, or is this guy slanting the facts to sell a baler?

p.s. I have not heard anything bad about Hesston balers. Can the same be said about their disc mowers? It would save me a few bucks to go with rather than a Kuhn or JD.

/ Hesston / MF small round baler question #2  
Greyfields said:
My JD has a 35 HP PTO. I was looking into the Hesston 730 / MF 1734 which does 30-52" diameter bales x 39". It requires a 30 HP PTO. My JD has a 35 HP PTO.

The salesman is telling me that I can go up a level to the Hesston 745 / MF 1745 which requiers a 40 HP PTO. The bales are 30-62" by 46.5". He claims that as long as I don't go to maximum bale diameter, the extra 5 HP is not a problem.

The advantage to me of going up a size is that it has the auto-tie option. So, would it be a wise thing to do, or is this guy slanting the facts to sell a baler?

p.s. I have not heard anything bad about Hesston balers. Can the same be said about their disc mowers? It would save me a few bucks to go with rather than a Kuhn or JD.

In their "prime" Hesston was one of the premier names in haying equipment. They were bought by AGCO and have slipped a little in stature, but still turn out a decent product from what I hear. I'm not familiar with the individual models you quoted, but what he says isn't too far out of the realm of possibility. WHat I'd concern myself with is WHICH 35 hp tractor you have. Balers are a load on a small tractor. Todays compacts aren't "beefy" enough for some balers. Small square balers are tougher on a tractor than a round baler as a generality. As far as the baler goes, I'd say he's shooting fairly straight. Auto tie is worth the cost.

And you're talking with a guy who STILL cuts his hay with a sickle bar, so what I know about competing brands of disc mowers wouldn't do anyone much good.

/ Hesston / MF small round baler question
Thanks FsWJ for the input. My tractor is a JD 4120 which is the larger framed CUT which is 42 HP. I live on an island which is pancake flat, so going up/down hills shouldn't cause any extra strain. At 3700 lbs + bale, it would be pulling a lot of weight wouldn't it? Or is that nothing for my tractor?

I was hoping to stick to smaller diameter bales 30-36" range. I know a lot of people who have CUTs which can't handle the big round ones, but would probably be interested (for the sake of their backs) in a managable round bale which they could handle.

/ Hesston / MF small round baler question #4  
Greyfields said:
Thanks FsWJ for the input. My tractor is a JD 4120 which is the larger framed CUT which is 42 HP. I live on an island which is pancake flat, so going up/down hills shouldn't cause any extra strain. At 3700 lbs + bale, it would be pulling a lot of weight wouldn't it? Or is that nothing for my tractor?

I was hoping to stick to smaller diameter bales 30-36" range. I know a lot of people who have CUTs which can't handle the big round ones, but would probably be interested (for the sake of their backs) in a managable round bale which they could handle.

3700+bale/lbs will be a load, but it is on wheels, and you do have flat land, so that's not so bad. Pure speculation on my part, but I'd say you're good to go.

You might want to try and find Mark @ CCI (Member here on TBN) He's more up-to-date on newer balers/mowers/ect. I'm stuck in the 60's and 70's with my stuff! (NH 451 mower, 257 rake, Deere 336 baler)

My son has a Vermeer 3400 Rebel round baler. He uses it with a 60 hp tractor and LOVES it. Anything to avoid "idiot cubes" I guess. (Small square bales)

/ Hesston / MF small round baler question #5  
check the threads started by mark from ccm. Like FWJ said, he knows a lot about baling with CUTs. There is a picture on one of his threads of a small Massey Ferguson baling. as far as your weight goes, after you see how easy your Deere pulls it, you'll realize just how powerful these larger CUTs are.

/ Hesston / MF small round baler question #7  
Greyfields said:

Stay with the smaller baler on your current tractor or buy a larger mass & HP tractor to pull the larger round baler. Farming is dangerous so don't play on the edge, it's not worth it.

/ Hesston / MF small round baler question
I appreciate your response. If I understand the jist of your comment, what you are saying is:

JD 4120 (3700 lbs) + 2780 lb baler + bale weight (500 max) = safe

JD 4120 (3700 lbs) + 3720 lb baler + bale weight (1250 max) = dubious

Does it make any difference at all that I live on an island, in the middle of the Columbia River, which is as flat as a pancake? I wouldn't have any issues going up or down slopes.

/ Hesston / MF small round baler question #9  
I have a 730 Hesston baler. Runs sweet, I have no trouble with it. It makes a 500 pound bale that my 640 ford can easly pick up. However I run the baler with a 75 hp international. I was told those things will push you and you need a heavy tractor to hold it back on hills.