Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question...

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #81  
3 cups daily, 4 cups if a long day
i never buy butter - sounds weird in coffee, perhaps i'll try that at a restaurant one day.
i have tried honey in coffee - that's okay.
I like extra strong dark coffee with a bit of sugar and a "drip" of cream - not even worth the effort and doesn't change the colour, but it takes the edge off. weird, i know - cream never lasts long enough because i hardly use it. but i will have some of that dry-cow / plastic milk / fire starter for when guests come
I'll add hot chocolate powder on occasion for a mocha effect
i love mochas (no whip), but rarely buy them.
can't stand flavoured creamers
if i run out of sugar, it's just Black Coffee for me
the only alcohol would be Kahlua for me
occasionally iced coffee
can't manage espresso, as way too much cream/milk

Last edited:
   / Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #82  
I don't think caffeine is lipophilic. One of the interesting things about cold extract coffee is that the caffeine is easily extracted by cold water. It is very soluble.
It's amphipathic having a lipophilic side and a hydrophilic side similar to detergent so it dissolves in both water and lipids

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #83  
I have a 5 cup Mr Coffee and a burr grinder and I buy my beans from Amazon. I like to change up the taste now and then so I change the grind to finer or courser and I weigh my coffee amount from 30 to 34 grams for two mugs.

Some of you who have been to the UP of Michigan may have had Trenary Toast. We always covered it with butter and dunked it in our coffee, the butter melts in the coffee and tastes great.

When I was USAF in Spain 67-68 I like to have a Expresso once in a while. I always ordered extra strong without milk and they always gave me a funny look. Sometimes in the afternoon I'd ask for a pour of Anis in it. I don't know about now, but they didn't use shots over there, just pour a certain amount.

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #84  
I think I've brought part of this story up but not in the "what do I buy" angle, so here this is.

Backstory: I'm guessing ten years ago, my wife went to her gal-pals house. (this gal has some deep pockets, she put over $50K into a diamond ring.... (my wife sold it to her, that's how they got to know each other))

Gal had a Jura S-9 coffee maker, heading to the curb. Wife said could she take it, thinking I could fix it. Got it home, it had a leaking pump, replaced it and the machine has been going strong since.

Recently stopped dead in tracks.... I disassembled it, specifically the brew group, and cleaned everything by hand (took it TOTALLY apart among some other tinkering)

Machine works fine now.

Wife's birthday is coming up in February. This maker has something like 10,000 or maybe 11,000 cups made if I recall. So I'm debating on just buying her a new one, she can post this for sale on Craigslist or something.... if she gets $50 or $500.... then she gets to keep the cash.

I understand the higher the letter, the higher the machine (I think more features is the main point) and then, the higher the number, the higher the machine.

I don't drink coffee at all so having a machine that does 25 different type means NOTHING to me....zilch.

I'm trying to wrap my head (without letting cat out of bag and simply asking her) which one makes more sense?

Does she not drink the 25th style they make.....because hers doesn't make it..... or, if it COULD make it, would she drink that 25th style?
Does she not froth milk because (as far as I know) her machine doesn't do it? Would she if she could?

Looking for thoughts and experiences with the S8, Z series.... I found a refurbished Z6 (which has been discontinued). I'm a bit shy about buying something that's discontinued...but then....they don't make hers anymore and I can get parts for it and it's been a work horse.

Keeping it within the Jura family since that's what she knows.... any thoughts/comments/jokes of the day?
I think I remember you bringing it up before. Sorry, I can't help with your question.

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #85  
I've found that it comes down to what you are putting into the coffee maker that makes the difference more than the coffee maker. I only like Tim Horton dark roast from restaurants. I don't like Starbucks, Bob Evans or Panera coffee. I like strong coffee but not bitter coffee (Starbucks)

I now only drink Decaf due to sleep issues and I have found that Costco (Kirkland) dark roast Decaf in the green can is the best I've found. I like it as well as any caffeinated coffee.
We've never been coffee snobs/ connesurier's but we enjoy our coffee immensely. Kirkland Colombian Dark Roast fine grind coffee made in a Mr Coffee. Immediately after brewing, it goes in to the Stanley Thermos. Stays piping hot with no additional electrical expense (or bitterness from reheating).

I will have to try that. Been overall happy with Dunkin original in a Keurig.

On our third unit- since they seem to die every few years.

Definitely matters how good of quality the coffee itself is before being brewed.

Cant stand old coffee that has been in the pot more than an hour. Sorry that Goes for Bunn brewers as well.

I would echo the keep the good working high quality brewer and put the money into getting a greenhouse up, since parts are available for the brewer.

Last edited:
   / Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #86  
I went from 3-5 cups daily to zero few months ago
I had a 2 quart a day habit. When I quit smoking, I decaffeinated myself the same day. The caffeine withdrawal was so fierce the nicotine took a back seat. I took a long weekend and slept through both withdrawal symptoms.

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #87  
My favorite coffee is Ethiopia Yirgacheffe. I tried various coffee beans, but every time returned to this one.
And I wonder whether anyone knows about Lifeboost Coffee? I read that it is supposed to be the healthiest coffee because it is organic, GMO-free, Pesticide-free, etc. I haven't tried it myself, but maybe someone can share the experience.
I haven't tried that. Does this sound similar, or what do you like about the beans you get? Ethiopia Suke Quto - Tony's Coffee

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #88  
I had a 2 quart a day habit. When I quit smoking, I decaffeinated myself the same day. The caffeine withdrawal was so fierce the nicotine took a back seat. I took a long weekend and slept through both withdrawal symptoms.
Good on you. (y) (y)

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #89  
A590B6F4-3D9F-43A1-8517-D74B24641971.jpeg