Hey, Y'all! We's gots goats!

/ Hey, Y'all! We's gots goats! #11  
We've had goats for years we have settled with Alpines as our dairy breed. We milk every day and enjoy the gifts they give us. Homemade soap, butter, cheese and of course ice cream. Also lease them from season to season for their milk. All started with a 4H project.
We got into Angoras a couple years ago for their fiber. We shear, spin and weave their fiber.
Our goats are part if our family and have real personalities too. We live ours, I hope you enjoy your new family members.
Here are a few pics one of one if our Angoras and the family enjoying the Christmas tree.

Attachments

• image-346545809.jpg
    image-346545809.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1955755352.jpg
    image-1955755352.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 76
   / Hey, Y'all! We's gots goats!
When we used to have goats, we found putting one strand of wire low down against your steel posts as a ground would make for a better shock. Ours were the bigger goats, but they could jump like a deer and climb like a cat. After they had ate the flowers, or what ever else it was they wanted, they would jump back over the fence to go back in their pasture.
I put up a five strand high-tensile fence, alternating between hot wires and ground. (1,3,5 = hot; 2,4 = ground) Bottom wire is 8" and top wire is 54". I also put ground rods in every loop (sections between gates). They get a good, hearty jolt from it and keep their distance!

Joe

/ Hey, Y'all! We's gots goats!
Goats are great fun, even more if you have them tame, keep hand feeding treats. We have 12 that are a combination of breeds and just last week purchased a young 4 month old billy to breed next season, hopefully. We also have two horses, (one is an ex race horse that broke down) and one sheep. They are all one big family, the horses and the sheep look after and protect the goats. It's fun and amazing watching them all interact. They are even starting to get used to our dog and not trying to head but here as much, she is very happy about that I am sure.
View attachment 333363View attachment 333364View attachment 333365View attachment 333366
I know how everyone likes pictures so there is a couple of our little zoo :D

You guys sound a lot like the neighbors we got our goats from. I wouldn't be too surprised if we veer that direction once we get our barn rebuilt. Looks like a great place you have with lots going on.

Joe

/ Hey, Y'all! We's gots goats! #14  
You guys sound a lot like the neighbors we got our goats from. I wouldn't be too surprised if we veer that direction once we get our barn rebuilt. Looks like a great place you have with lots going on.

Joe

Hi Joe, The goats get you in for sure. We purchased our 1000 acre farm last December and the animals came with it ( abandoned by previous renters ) We wanted to get rid of them at first thinking they would be a pain as we only use the property at weekends as a getaway for the kids to get them off the playstation and computer ( two boys 16 and 14). We all love getting out there motorbiking, shooting, exploring and just generally being out there with our animals. We live in a small country town and were very new to goats, but after a short period of time we fell for them and now it would not be the same with out them. Because we are not there during the week that's why it is great that the horses seem to look after them. We have seen foot prints of large wild dogs near them but so far no problems. Everyone that has goats seems to really enjoy them, the only thing I don't enjoy is having to cut their feet every few weeks it seems. We have very sandy loam soil and their hooves get over grown because it's not hard enough soil to wear them down. That is a pain and I have had to make a stand with neck crush to put them on to do it so save our backs and make it a little easier.
P1090268.jpg Wouldn't change a thing though, they are cuties and we love them.

John