Hi everybody, I'm back!

/ Hi everybody, I'm back! #1  

Rolando

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat High Flow Turbo C-series
I just searched and saw that it has been eight or nine months since I last posted! Where has the time gone?

Anyway, a lot has happened. In between a lot of work, I finally got preliminary plans finished on the house I would want to build. But when it got down to getting the drafting done, I decided to have one last look around at what was available to buy built. And the more I looked around, the more I decided I didn't want to go through the hassle of building a house (I've done it before), or the wait till it got finished (I wasn't happy in the house I was in). I also decided that I wanted more than 5 acres.

So I found a house on 11.5 acres and I'm fixing to become a pecan farmer! I've already moved in and am finally giving the Toolcat a good workout. Lots of grass to cut and scrubby trees to clear to get ready for another 60 pecan trees I'm going to have planted. I've already sold the 5 acre lot and my old house sale is closing on Sept 1, so I'm finally starting to see daylight.

I have about 1/4 mile of limerock drive to maintain and a lot of grass, so I got the Bobcat box scrapper and the 72" mower deck. Thought about getting the 90" deck but was concerned about getting into smaller spaces.

Everything is going great with the Toolcat except that I found out I had a bad fuel level sensor when I thought I had an eighth of a tank and I ran out of fuel. So now I'm filling up more often until they replace the sensor.

The A/C cab has been great in these 95 degree days with 80%+ humidity. I've been able to wait until 11 am or noon to start mowing when the grass is dry and the mower barely gets dirty. Also, the Bobcat tech tells me that this is easier on the equipment since the grass is lighter when it's not wet.

I'm now looking to get a hydraulic grapple to pick up a lot of tree trunks and brush and scrub. I'm thinking about the Anbo, since they make a lighter unit.

Anyway, that's about it for now. I'll check in more often now and keep up with what's going on.

If I haven't already said it often enough, thanks for all the input I got from everyone on making my purchasing decisions.

Rolando

Last edited:
   / Hi everybody, I'm back! #2  
Welcome back Rolando!
Some of the original Toolcat founders have been too busy enjoing their Toolcats than to post on TBN...what a wonderful problem! Enjoy farming your nuts! (Add an apostrophie, the letter "e" and a comma for intended meaning - just kidding!!) Steve

/ Hi everybody, I'm back!
I know, I don't expect I'll be making any money at it. In fact, probably the reverse, but the county I leave in has the highest property taxes in Florida so the Ag exemption will be my return on investment. And it gives me another excuse, ahem!... reason!, to be using my Toolcat.

/ Hi everybody, I'm back! #4  
My wife and I sell horses on the side, so I am well aware of the scant return on the investment...but she enjoys it and like you said, the tax benefits are sizable, not to mention the toys, I mean equipment it affords! Last year, I was able to enjoy the sales tax savings on the Toolcat, of almost 2K!
Good Farming!
Steve

/ Hi everybody, I'm back! #5  
Welcome back... we missed you!

I have had an AnBo 5' lightweight grapple on my PowerTrac 1845 and it has been fine. Very well built and nice outfit to deal with (bought factory direct).

This type of grapple is mainly intended to come down on top of a pile and grab. It can also be pushed ahead while open as a rake to gather up debris.

Another type is built like a skeleton or rock-picking bucket and slides under the debris and then you close the grapple arms to hold it in place. Quite different operating modes and each with their pros & cons in terms of what you need to do with it.

Good luck with the pecan farming!

Rip