Hi from Mexico City

/ Hi from Mexico City
Mr. Ted here are a picture of the generator welder I will restore. I don't know when I start, but I guess it will be more easier than the other, because this have a electric motor included. Anyway this will be interest. Thanks for your comments about my english I hope soon I can writte better than now

Attachments

• P6300008.JPG
    P6300008.JPG
    790.1 KB · Views: 110
   / Hi from Mexico City #14  
have you try to take a spanish lessons?
Where I live there are not many Spanish-speaking people. I studied Latin for two years in high school many years ago, so I can read Spanish pretty well, but I can't speak it.

I'm a teacher at the local university and I have students of many nationalities (Latino, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Indian, Nepalese, Pakistani, Kenyan, you name it). I wish I knew all of those languages.

metalworker,
Please post again or start a new thread when you make progress with the generator/welder.

/ Hi from Mexico City #16  
Welcome Alejandro.

That's a beautiful job on the Wisconsin welder. The name plate seems to indicate 200 amps and 25 volts open circuit. Is that right?

The commutator seems hardly worn. Did you have it turned down (on a lathe), or had it just had very little use.

Please keep us posted on the motor-generator project. I always wondered why welder's were made in that style. I saw quite a few of them in the late 1940's and early 1950's in rural south Georgia. I was later told that there were several reasons. The rural power lines were not designed to handle the large unbalanced inductive load created by a transformer/rectifier, and the motor-generator created a less unbalanced load. I was also told that in the early 1900's efficient and reliable rectifiers were not available, and that a rotary converter of AC to DC (such as your motor-generator) was the only way to get DC welding current. Someone else mentioned that the inertia of the rotating motor and generature armatures stored energy that helped offset fluctuations in power line voltage.

I never got to weld with one, but someone who had used one said that the DC current was much smoother than the current from a transformer/rectifier setup.

Perhaps you or some of the other professional welders on the bulletin board can straighten me out on this.

Good luck with your project.

/ Hi from Mexico City
Thanks for your comments. The D C welding current is the best for a excellent results when you are working because the fluctuations in welding process may cause porosity and in generatos never this happen. The high rpm of the generator will prevent this fluctuations. For this reason I like to work with a generator. So many people don't like it for so much noise this welders cause, but I don't care I love generators. I guess you must find the way to weld with this and feel for yourself the pleasure of work with it. The
ASEA generator welder is in stand by because my workshop is very small. Until the gold engine go away I will wait for a while. By now I'm repairing the armature. (Believe me, must be rewired so carefully)

Attachments

• P6300016.JPG
    P6300016.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 89
   / Hi from Mexico City #18  
It's always a pleasure to see the results of loving craftsmanship. There's a big difference between just repairing something, and doing it the best you can. I imagine the work you produce with this machine can be fine, too.

/ Hi from Mexico City
It's always a pleasure to see the results of loving craftsmanship. There's a big difference between just repairing something, and doing it the best you can. I imagine the work you produce with this machine can be fine, too.
Hi and thanks. The engine works really good, but don't be used because after 5 years of restoration will be a shame if for any reason is spoliled the paint or some of his components. By now still in show piece. Anyway welds terrific. Soon I will upload a video with the engine welding. I suppose so you have seen the video YouTube - Wisconsin engine Mod T F 1954 showing the engine running

/ Hi from Mexico City #20  
Great video!

I noticed that you started it with a full turn of the crank or more. As a youngster I was taught that you should limit it to a quarter turn of the handle and then to pull the handle off the shaft because the impulse magneto might cause it to fire the spark plug early and kick back. Does yours ever kick back when starting?

I recall a 1950's Wisconsin V-4 on a combine that you could (sometimes) start just by turning the flywheel with your hand (and being very careful with your fingers).

Farmerford