Hi Pitched squeal, no forward or back problem CK20--advice sought.

/ Hi Pitched squeal, no forward or back problem CK20--advice sought. #1  

CBB

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5320N Vineyard, 1981 Deere 910, 1980 Kubota B22, 1983 Ford 1710
I was rototilling with my CK20 when the tractor just stopped. I pushed the HST pedal forward, back nothing except some hi pitched whining. I checked the linkages for the forward/reverse pedal, hi/lo range and all seem okay.

Any suggestions where to start with this?

The tractor has 650 hours, new in March 2006. The CK20 gets light use with the bull work on our farm going the JD 910.

I hope it is not like Mathy or Isosled's unit that need the engine split and such. Hard to believe we just took the last payment in to the bank two days before this and the very next time I use it, this happens.

Last edited:
   / Hi Pitched squeal, no forward or back problem CK20--advice sought. #2  
Parking brake on? Fluid levels OK?

I would lift up the tractor so the wheels are free and see if they move with no weight on them.

/ Hi Pitched squeal, no forward or back problem CK20--advice sought. #3  
I have had discussions with my dealer that he has had people have this problem and he says that this is happens mainly after tilling. Something about the shockwave it sends through the system and shatters the main gear pump that pre charges the HST drive. I hope that isnt the case for you but sounds very similar to what he has described to me. Kepp us posted on your findings

/ Hi Pitched squeal, no forward or back problem CK20--advice sought. #4  
Does you 3-point hitch, FEL, and remotes still work? While I do not have a CK shop manual to check, if the basic hydraulic circuit is the same as the DK series then if the 3-point hitch can still lift the tiller and FEL then most likely the hydraulic pump still works. This would indicate an issue with the HST. Note: the main gear pump that precharges the HST is the same pump that runs the hydraulics for the FEL, 3-point hitch, and remotes. Sorry you're having this problem.

/ Hi Pitched squeal, no forward or back problem CK20--advice sought.
Thank you for the input.
Fluid levels are fine, parking brake off.
FEL, remotes and 3 pt. hitch all still work.

I used the FEL to life the front tires off the ground. Wheels turn freely when in neutral or in Low with the four wheel engaged. The fact the wheels spun with no resistance is different from normal, if I recall.

Any ideas based on these facts would be appreciated and once we narrow it down, how much to fix it. I suspect since this is 4.5 years old, it is out of warranty. It is a good little tractor and worth fixing.

/ Hi Pitched squeal, no forward or back problem CK20--advice sought. #6  
Sounds like the hydraulic pump is fine. I wonder if something broke in the gear part of the transmission causing it to jam. This would result in the activation of the HST's pressure relieve valve when you press the forward/reverse pedal since the HST can not turn the transmission input shaft. It's my understanding there is another valve in the HST that can cause this too if it jams open, it has to do with HST back pressure. Both of these valves can create the squeal. Are you sure the transmission is not jammed in between a range? Was the tractor in 4 wheel drive when the problem happen?

/ Hi Pitched squeal, no forward or back problem CK20--advice sought. #7  
The other valve I was referring too is the inlet check valve on the HST. My understanding is if this gets stuck open the HST will stop working and may create the squealing sound. Unfortunately getting access to this valve is a major job.

/ Hi Pitched squeal, no forward or back problem CK20--advice sought.
This looks like a job for the dealer and my bank account. I was hoping for a quick, can you believe you did it solution but it sounds major...too bad as in my world, 684 hours on a tractor is just off the showroom floor, at least for the JD 910 (1990-no repairs), Ford 1920 (1981-no repairs but an engine getting tired and almost ready for a rebuild) or a Kubota B4200 19?? with no repairs except a broken wire). Maybe after I get this weak HST fixed it will work as well and as long as the other brands on our farm. I would love in 29 years to say, "well that 2006 Kioti CK20 did break once-the HST, if I recall-- and gave us a bit of a scare that maybe Kioti wasn't much of a machine but ain't broke since and is still doing it's job. Is that too much to hope for?

/ Hi Pitched squeal, no forward or back problem CK20--advice sought. #9  
The relief and neutral valves are actually easy to test on the CK20. Sounds like an HST relief valve problem from your desciption. The relief and nuetral valves test ports are accessible without major surgery, and should be tested before going any further. The charge pump in the CK20HST is at the front of the HST unit, seperate from the hydraulic pump. The charge pressure should test at 90psi at the test port.

Might be something you want your dealer to do if you arent't familiar with the HST unit.

/ Hi Pitched squeal, no forward or back problem CK20--advice sought. #10  
The relief and neutral valves are actually easy to test on the CK20. Sounds like an HST relief valve problem from your desciption. The relief and nuetral valves test ports are accessible without major surgery, and should be tested before going any further. The charge pump in the CK20HST is at the front of the HST unit, seperate from the hydraulic pump. The charge pressure should test at 90psi at the test port.

Might be something you want your dealer to do if you arent't familiar with the HST unit.

So the CK and DK series are different for the basic hydraulics or I received poor information? Are those valves accessible on the DK series?