High Efficiency A/C Filters?

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #11  
This house had a monstrous filter on the HVAC unit in the attic when we bought the house; only needed changing once a year. However, air was leaking past that filter, and the evaporator coil had a tiny leak. So last month, my HVAC people replaced the evaporator coil under warranty, but then I let them replace that filter and the housing, etc. with a Honeywell filter with a MERV 11 rating, and they cleaned all the ductwork. I know many say that "usually" duct cleaning is a scam, but I think ours actually did need cleaning, especially since my wife had COPD. I think this new filter will be replaced every 6 months.

And like Eddie, I pour a little bleach down the condensation drain once a month.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #12  
Growing up we did not have A/C just opened the windows and turn on the fan. No allergies, had to go outside anyway. The problem I think is buildings are built too tight and the air in the structure becomes contaminated leading to other problems. After 45 years in commercial/ industrial HVAC I always set up minimum outside air to the engineers percentage. I think the same applies to homes where there is no outside air ducted in most of the time. Just an opinion.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #13  
I have two indoor cats and I can tell that that the higher end filters help a lot. Used to get litter dust on everything now almost non existent.
I change the intake filters ever month and the larger attic filter ever six months.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #14  
Growing up we did not have A/C just opened the windows and turn on the fan. No allergies, had to go outside anyway. The problem I think is buildings are built too tight and the air in the structure becomes contaminated leading to other problems. After 45 years in commercial/ industrial HVAC I always set up minimum outside air to the engineers percentage. I think the same applies to homes where there is no outside air ducted in most of the time. Just an opinion.

I suspect you're right. I never slept in an air-conditioned building until I was 19 and bought a little mobile home.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #15  
We have three different heating/AC units with different size filters. For years I have got all the filters from the place linked below. They have every conceivable size, type, and efficiency rating, and are very informative about what their various filters will do for you. And cheaper than local stores. I have experimented with different efficiencies (MERV ratings). For us, a moderate rating filter works fine. My wife has springtime allergies and using the moderate filters while replacing regularly seems to help.

Home page

Those NordicPure filters can sure get pricey! Up to and over $16 each? I didn't even go further to check on shipping... The cheapest ones they listed were about the same as the hepa filters we're buying at Sam's. If their cheap ones are better than the 3M Filterette filters we pick up at Sam's, I'd sure want to know.. I'm sure they are good, but I'm not sure I can afford 'that good' :)

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #16  
I use a cleanable filter. I hadn't been cleaning it as often as I should till I decided to add it to my generator test day. Now I clean it once a month.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #17  
If you try them, keep an eye on the dust build up. I froze up my A/C coil with them. Now I run the pleated HE filters in the winter and conventional filters in the summer.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #18  
If you try them, keep an eye on the dust build up. I froze up my A/C coil with them. Now I run the pleated HE filters in the winter and conventional filters in the summer.

This is a very good point. A restricted coil can easily freeze with AC. High MERV filters will clog more quickly, so more frequent changes are needed.

paul

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #19  
Same issue with the house previous home I had. The second floor unit was in the attic and a high efficency filter would cause the unit to freeze when running the air conditioning during the warmer months.