High visibility beacons for safer road work

/ High visibility beacons for safer road work #1  

jedjoe

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland TC 35A 2004
I occasionally have to take my tractor onto the road to get from one property to another. Partly because of a chronic problem with my OEM flashers (they keep shorting out), I decided to add a separately circuited set of flashing beacons onto the light bar I built for my tractor.

I just finished installing them, and I have to say I am really impressed by the product. They are sturdily built, and include a flexible base mount that allow the beacon to take a modest hit (tree branches, etc.) and not get damaged. The LEDs are more than bright enough for daytime visibility. And the entire device uses a quick attach system that allow you to remove the beacon without having to remove the base bracket from the tractor.

You can get these on Amazon or at any other online superstore or parts place.

Attachments

• IMG_4734.JPG
    IMG_4734.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_4740.JPG
    IMG_4740.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_4733.JPG
    IMG_4733.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 251
   / High visibility beacons for safer road work #2  
Nice. I got a free LED one from one of the forum members.
YellowLight.jpeg

/ High visibility beacons for safer road work #4  
Mounted sort of low in my view. My ag tractors all have a single flashing amber LED beacon on the roof. I do everything I can to be as visible as possible to motorists when I'm roading.

/ High visibility beacons for safer road work
I considered a higher mounting. I had a magnetic beacon that I used to put on the top of my ROPS, but it always got knocked off by low branches (when I did woods work). Ended up attaching it upside down under the top part of the ROPS. When mounting these beacons, I noticed that the refraction lenses were better suited to maximizing the "flash" when closer to eye level. TBM doesn't seem to allow video attachments. If it did, you'd better see the advantages of the lower mounting.

/ High visibility beacons for safer road work #6  
I like the LED light bars. Are the outside edges spots and the inside area floods?
Spots center & floods on the ends.

/ High visibility beacons for safer road work #7  
As high up as possible with no obstructions is always the best, at least in my opinion as a driver on the road and being able to spot it.

For example, I'm in snow country, and it's easy to spot plows working in driveways with snow banks when they have a bright orange light flashing on their roof. The plows with just flashing led marker lights are hard to see because the lights are low; can't see them until are right next to them.

/ High visibility beacons for safer road work #8  
I occasionally have to take my tractor onto the road to get from one property to another. Partly because of a chronic problem with my OEM flashers (they keep shorting out), I decided to add a separately circuited set of flashing beacons onto the light bar I built for my tractor.

I just finished installing them, and I have to say I am really impressed by the product. They are sturdily built, and include a flexible base mount that allow the beacon to take a modest hit (tree branches, etc.) and not get damaged. The LEDs are more than bright enough for daytime visibility. And the entire device uses a quick attach system that allow you to remove the beacon without having to remove the base bracket from the tractor.

You can get these on Amazon or at any other online superstore or parts place.

Nice looking lights and install job. You can never have too much lighting on the road.
I have long agonized over adding strobes to my tractor, mostly for night snow plowing and roading between jobs (all within a mile or so). I have zero height clearance for storage, so high mounts on the cab are not possible. I have been using a magnetic strobe on the rear blade which in addition to the OEM high flashers seems to be adequate.
IMG_4072.jpg

/ High visibility beacons for safer road work #9  
I'm partial to the old rotator lights. I remember knowing when the snowplow was coming even before it came around the corner. Those rotators really throw the light.