hitch questions

/ hitch questions #11  
To hear you guys talk, why would anyone buy a 3/4T truck?

The real question is why would anyone buy a half ton and then expect to tow another bigger than a lawnmower?

/ hitch questions #12  
The real question is why would anyone buy a half ton and then expect to tow another bigger than a lawnmower?

Evidently from the testimonies here that's not a problem. :)

/ hitch questions #13  

My answer would be: because it's 2020.

It's a new world out there, and it's run on turbos and 10 speed transmissions. Yes, I realize power is hardly a factor in any towing equation, but my point is that design and engineering in all areas are making vehicles more capable than ever. I don't even try to keep up with it, but I recently looked at a GM trailering guide to see what it recommended for towing on my new 1500 without weight distribution and it said 7k. not too long ago 5k was the norm. I did a double take and checked my eyes to verify that it really said 35K gooseneck towing capacity on a 3500.

Is it a good idea? probably not in all cases, but i'll always factor frequency into the equation. If I'm towing more than 5k every day then I'll most likely opt for a 2500 or more, but I can't swing a dead cat without hitting half a dozen contractors putting 50k a year on a 1500 and towing a 5-7k enclosed cargo everywhere they go. They can't all be wrong. If I'm only occasionally towing a camper or tractor or whatever, i would also not worry about being at the manufacturer's rated max as long as I felt safe. not everyone here is towing their equipment every day, and there's a fine line when you need capacity and also a daily driver. I've seen a few on here over the years that go so far off the scale in the other direction that they'll talk themselves into a C60 with a 24' deckover to haul a BX.

I had a brand new 2006 gm 2500 gas and it surely was no powerhouse. I truly believe that the powertrain in my 3.0 diesel would pull circles around that setup, but sure, i agree that the 2500 felt more stable, as my new truck reminds me of driving my living room couch at times.

/ hitch questions #14  
Biggest thing is being able to stop whatever you are towing! Around where I live, if you're pulling a dual axle trailer with lawn or tractor, you can almost always get a greeting from the DOT officer! Ive seen them cross the median to get a closer look at rigs going over direction. Biggest thing is to make sure you have a break-away on dual axles. Brakes on both axles also make for less creases in the seat covers!

/ hitch questions #15  
My answer would be: because it's 2020.

It's a new world out there, and it's run on turbos and 10 speed transmissions. Yes, I realize power is hardly a factor in any towing equation, but my point is that design and engineering in all areas are making vehicles more capable than ever. I don't even try to keep up with it, but I recently looked at a GM trailering guide to see what it recommended for towing on my new 1500 without weight distribution and it said 7k. not too long ago 5k was the norm. I did a double take and checked my eyes to verify that it really said 35K gooseneck towing capacity on a 3500.

Is it a good idea? probably not in all cases, but i'll always factor frequency into the equation. If I'm towing more than 5k every day then I'll most likely opt for a 2500 or more, but I can't swing a dead cat without hitting half a dozen contractors putting 50k a year on a 1500 and towing a 5-7k enclosed cargo everywhere they go. They can't all be wrong. If I'm only occasionally towing a camper or tractor or whatever, i would also not worry about being at the manufacturer's rated max as long as I felt safe. not everyone here is towing their equipment every day, and there's a fine line when you need capacity and also a daily driver. I've seen a few on here over the years that go so far off the scale in the other direction that they'll talk themselves into a C60 with a 24' deckover to haul a BX.

I had a brand new 2006 gm 2500 gas and it surely was no powerhouse. I truly believe that the powertrain in my 3.0 diesel would pull circles around that setup, but sure, i agree that the 2500 felt more stable, as my new truck reminds me of driving my living room couch at times.

A 5.3 powered 4 speed trans half ton from 20 years ago had enough power. Suspension and brakes was the big problem. I really can’t imagine a 3.0 diesel beating a 6.0 gas especially by a notable amount especially with everything else being equal.

/ hitch questions #16  
Biggest thing is being able to stop whatever you are towing! Around where I live, if you're pulling a dual axle trailer with lawn or tractor, you can almost always get a greeting from the DOT officer! Ive seen them cross the median to get a closer look at rigs going over direction. Biggest thing is to make sure you have a break-away on dual axles. Brakes on both axles also make for less creases in the seat covers!

And that may be the reason for 1/2 ton and in some cases 3/4 ton pickups being able to tow such heavy trailers. Trailer brakes are what is making it possible. What I see are a lot of dually pickups with 8000# vehicle plates when the truck weight almost that amount and were considered overweight with the slightest amount of cargo or about any goose neck trailer. But the next step up in plates requires biannual safety inspection which most people don't know about.

Or two axle 7000# rated trailers with 3000# plates and no trailer brakes. Don't take much cargo to exceed that weight plate either. But they will load the trailer where it would probable scale over 8000# in some cases. It would be safer for me to two 10000# with trailer brakes than to tow 3000# without with my half ton pickup.

/ hitch questions #17  
A 5.3 powered 4 speed trans half ton from 20 years ago had enough power. Suspension and brakes was the big problem. I really can’t imagine a 3.0 diesel beating a 6.0 gas especially by a notable amount especially with everything else being equal.

Like everything else, I'm sure it all depends on where you live and drive and what you tow. I have all back roads and hills and corners. There's precious little for interstate highways in the entire state, and I have no real need to be towing much on them, so my towing is nearly all sub-65 mph. At all 75+mph highway speeds, the bigger displacement might win, but I'm usually running under 3k RPM all the time so if I go on feel alone, I like the little diesel, especially if I'm considering towing less than what a current 1500 is rated for. Just for comparison here's some numbers on the two engines:

Max HP/Torque
6.0 LQ4 300hp@4400rpm / 360ft-lb@4000rpm
3.0 LM2 277hp@3750rpm / 460ft-lb@1500rpm

1500 rpm (interpolated numbers from a hp/torque curve)
6.0 LQ4 85hp / 310ft-lb
3.0 LM2 135hp / 460ft-lb

3000 rpm (interpolated numbers from a hp/torque curve)
6.0 LQ4 195hp / 340ft-lb
3.0 LM2 245hp / 450ft-lb