Hitch Rating Question

/ Hitch Rating Question #1  

CompactTractorFan

Tractor
Kubota BX25
I have a question about hitch ratings: I was looking at trucks online and I came across this one. In GM's towing guide it says that if you tow over 5k you need a WD hitch and most of their hitches are rated for 12k/10k...etc with WD and 5k without. On this truck (if you look closely at the hitch plate), it says 17k with WD and 17k without. What gives??? Can you tow 17k without a WD even though their tow guide says over 5k you need a WD hitch???

2011 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 3500 LT 1 Ton Truck For Sale At TruckPaper.com

/ Hitch Rating Question #2  
The lowest rating wins in the tow rating by the book.

The hitch rating tells you the max safe tow without breaking the hitch off.

/ Hitch Rating Question
Yeah, I know, but in the trailer guide it says it can pull 17k on the bumper, but then it says in the fine print (throughout the whole guide) that of you're towing over 5k you need a WD.

/ Hitch Rating Question
Interesting. After looking over the guide again, it says it on almost every page except the HD series page...Maybe it's allowed...

/ Hitch Rating Question
Interesting. After looking over the guide again, it says it on almost every page except the HD series page...Maybe it's allowed...

After reading more now I'm not too sure...:confused: This stuff is confusing....:confused2:

/ Hitch Rating Question #6  
to summarize in one word - safety.

problem is with soft suspension of current vehicles for better rides, and lighter cars/trucks on the road. you need WD for prevent disaster. you don't want the trailer to buck the tow vehicle and you want to stop smoothly. you also want to reduce the side push of large vehicles passing you so you don't jackknife. The car manufacturers know how they engineered the vehicles to "MOST drivers that dont tow" that its a problem for us 10 percent of drivers that TOW stuff.

/ Hitch Rating Question #7  
After reading more now I'm not too sure...:confused: This stuff is confusing....:confused2:

The hitch on my 2006 SRW F-350 is rated at 15,000# but the bumper pull rating in the manual is 12,500#. Its about 17,000# for the GN. So yes, what the manual states is the rule. The hitches are made to fit a variety of trucks. Like in my case it would also fit on a dually F-350 or a F-450.

I would see no need to have a WD hitch on a Dually truck like that for just 17,000#. We routinely pull nearly 16,000# weekly for 3,000 miles a year or so and have no issues with my truck or hitch.

Chris

/ Hitch Rating Question #8  
Oh I missed the point of the question!!

NO you can't tow 17,000 without WD hitch! You'd need an F450/F550 with a frame plate right behind the rear spring hangers to do that! There is a mistake in the guide if it says that, your hitch and truck can't take the tongue weight that far back of the axle.

/ Hitch Rating Question #9  
   / Hitch Rating Question
Look on the bottom of the tag at their disclaimer. "Tow vehicle maximum trailer rating may be less"

Yes, it says in the manual that it can tow 17k of the rear hitch, but it also says throughout the manual, below different vehicles, that when you tow over 5k you need a WD.