Hitch Stabilizer Arm Geometry

/ Hitch Stabilizer Arm Geometry #1  

Argonne

Gold Member
Tractor
JD2210, Ford 4400, Case IH 685, Terramite T7, JD 6x4 M-Gator
My Ford 4400 came without stabilizer arms, and I have been getting along without them until now. I finally picked up a couple of thread/adjustable ones at TSC and installed them, so far so good. However, when I lift the hitch, the arms bind within a few inches threatening to break something.

This is not surprising since the tractor-end stabilizer bar pins are at a slightly different axis than the lift arm shaft.

I am obviously doing something wrong, and I hope you guys can look at the pic and point out what it is.

Yea, I could just install one and let it slew during lift (no big deal with the mower), but with other implements like the trailer spotter, it would be undesirable. My OCD wouldn't like it either ;-) .

hitch_s.jpg

/ Hitch Stabilizer Arm Geometry #2  
Not sure what was original, but if you're gonna use rigid length arms like that you would need to build a couple brackets that would move your stabilizer pivot points rearward so they are directly in line with your lift arm pivot point.

I can't see any other way it could work... Steve

/ Hitch Stabilizer Arm Geometry #3  
Yep, the pins have to be inline:

image-989798341 (Large).jpg

/ Hitch Stabilizer Arm Geometry #4  
My 3910 has brackets under the axle where yours are that move the pin lower and rearward. When I get a chance to get on,my computer I'll post pics.

/ Hitch Stabilizer Arm Geometry #5  
My Ford 4400 came without stabilizer arms, and I have been getting along without them until now. I finally picked up a couple of thread/adjustable ones at TSC and installed them, so far so good. However, when I lift the hitch, the arms bind within a few inches threatening to break something.

This is not surprising since the tractor-end stabilizer bar pins are at a slightly different axis than the lift arm shaft.

I am obviously doing something wrong, and I hope you guys can look at the pic and point out what it is.

Yea, I could just install one and let it slew during lift (no big deal with the mower), but with other implements like the trailer spotter, it would be undesirable. My OCD wouldn't like it either ;-) .

View attachment 454344

Would reversing the brackets make them line up with the lift arm pivot points?

/ Hitch Stabilizer Arm Geometry #6  
Might be exactly what happened - keeping each bracket on the side of the tractor it's on now, but rotated 180 degrees, might move the pin hole inline AND spread the triangle so there would be more resistance to sway. Worth a look anyway... Steve

/ Hitch Stabilizer Arm Geometry
Would reversing the brackets make them line up with the lift arm pivot points?

Hmmm. That would be a mighty logical answer. Perhaps in the past someone re-installed them backwards. I am resisting the temptation to run out and crawl under the tractor in the dark, but I will sure check that in the morning!

XFaxMan - Thanks for the nice illustrative pic. That is the geometry i was expecting until my rude surprise.

/ Hitch Stabilizer Arm Geometry #8  
Even if the plates can not simply be reversed or flipped, making modification to them to relocate the pins looks easy enough.

I agree, wider is better but straight on like in xfaxman's photo is easiest to get the stabilizer arms on the impliment pins.

Not the best angle of view, but the links on my compact 3005 is not easy to put on... I have to pull both hitch pins, and slide the stabilizer bar on both tractor and implement at the same time. If they were wider, more parallel, it would be helpful.

/ Hitch Stabilizer Arm Geometry #9  
Guess I don't recall every seeing bars positioned such as some in the pics posted here. Seems that in theory the intended stabilizers could also be subjected to the implement load.

Anyway on our ford 5000s the brackets drop down and come back some as others have referenced. The stabilizers are also connected to the lift arms and not the implement pins.

/ Hitch Stabilizer Arm Geometry #10  
Guess I don't recall every seeing bars positioned such as some in the pics posted here. Seems that in theory the intended stabilizers could also be subjected to the implement load.

Anyway on our ford 5000s the brackets drop down and come back some as others have referenced. The stabilizers are also connected to the lift arms and not the implement pins.

Yep, mine too. And are adjustable.