Hoarding

/ Hoarding #22  
It’s only hoarding if you have to pay to haul it away.

At the farms of moms youth there were a lot of bonfires getting rid of the old horse drawn wagons and such… even spinning wheels, butter churns all tossed… many later generations still in disbelief.

I see a guy like Jay Leno as a collector and preservationist… but some have said he is a hoarder?

I’ve become the family repository which is fine but what I don’t like is rescuing something years ago and then expected to hand it over… because I’m not “Using” it.

Dad was US Heavyweight Boxing Champ years ago and I kept as much as I could through the moves…one of the grandkids showed interest and asked for items which is really great… thing is it was only a passing fancy as the items are no more…

Friends wanted their grandparents beautiful piano and I offered to come with the lift gate to help move… great grandkid wanted to learn piano…

It was a family heirloom but not particularly valuable.

Three years later they asked if I could take to landfill… they said no one was taking lessons so put it on the back porch…

I could tell grandparents deeply hurt as it came from accomplished great grandparent who saved 10 years to buy it…

Last edited:
   / Hoarding
Here are a couple of pics of before and after. My girlfriend came up from Virgina and helped me out. What we accomplished in a week without a tractor is unbelievable. We are no longer spring chickens.

20220726_164259.jpg

20220818_134150.jpg

20220728_104654.jpg

20220827_145859.jpg

20220818_143322.jpg
20220828_124750.jpg

Thats just part of the barn, the greenhouse and the driveway. The house was even worse!

/ Hoarding #24  
The first went to the dump where I had to pay $10 to get rid of it. Then a lightbulb flashed and I checked on scrap metal prices. The next two trailer loads went to recyclers. Between the two, the total was around 1,400 pounds and I got a little over $100
Scrap metal (especially steel) can be tricky. Sometimes what you get for it barely covers the cost of gas to bring it to the scrap dealer. Our town dump/transfer station doesn't charge to drop off metal.

Scrap dealer is a better option for aluminum, copper/brass or batteries but even still I'll coincide a visit there with times where I was going to be in the area anyway.

/ Hoarding #25  
   / Hoarding #26  
Friends wanted their grandparents beautiful piano and I offered to come with the lift gate to help move… great grandkid wanted to learn piano…

It was a family heirloom but not particularly valuable.

Three years later they asked if I could take to landfill… they said no one was taking lessons so put it on the back porch…

I could tell grandparents deeply hurt as it came from accomplished great grandparent who saved 10 years to buy it…
That's a whole separate can of worms, sentimental value to the grandparents but essentially junk to successive generations. Do you keep stuff you don't want just to avoid hurt feelings?

/ Hoarding #27  
New development...

Today I put 2 more 3" long 2x4's in the "just in case" bucket.

Maybe I am a hoarder.
The fact that you have a just in case BUCKET immediately tells me you’re not a hoarder. It would be a different story if you have multiple “just in case” PILES of scraps that you’ve got to step over/wade through

/ Hoarding #28  
When my bro in law died we had to clean out his apartment.

I've never dealt with a real hoarder before. Holy crap it was nasty. Took about 3 days to be able to see the carpet. Filled many dumpsters and a few dump runs. Ended up hiring a company to remove the furniture.

No one knew he had a couch in there.

/ Hoarding #29  
Here are a couple of pics of before and after. My girlfriend came up from Virgina and helped me out. What we accomplished in a week without a tractor is unbelievable. We are no longer spring chickens.
Just mowing the yard made a huge difference!

/ Hoarding #30  
I was a paramedic in the late 90s, we got sent on an EID call, Elderly in Distress. Basically, that's when the dept of human services is in contact with a reluctant client (not always elderly) who's deemed in need of a mental/physical exam. So we show up, the cops are already there and busted open the door, and are like "he's all yours". This was your typical Chicago bungalow, like a long narrow house...living room to dining room, and then kitchen in the back. Bedrooms/bathroom off to the side.

So this dude, he liked newspapers and stuff like that, he had them stacked up, I mean STACKED! Like a good 5' tall or more, some places to the ceiling, and the entire place was filled in with this crap except for a narrow pathway he had leading back to the kitchen. No way this was just him buying newspapers/magazines, obviously his hobby was to go out and find this stuff in garbage bins or whatever, drag it home. One bedroom was completely filled, couldn't even get in there. And the kicker, you could hear critters moving around behind those stacks, most likely rats. Not to mention the smell, omg that place reeked!

We had to wrestle him on the stretcher and strap him down to transport him, although that was often the case with these EID calls. But anyways, in the ER, they start stripping him down, he's like caked with his own crap and dirt and stuff...obviously hasn't washed in years, like for real. When they got his shoes off, oh my friggin lord, his feet/nails were and absolute disaster! Yeh, that was a crazy call lol!