Hobbies and Interests

/ Hobbies and Interests #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
Just thought I'd see what hobbies / activities / collections / interests TBN members have.

I have had WAY TOO MANY collections over the years, and I am now continuing to purge things. I think that collecting stuff was my way of coping with physical limitations that prevented me from typical sports and activities. But here's the stuff that has amused me over time...

Aquariums and raising fish - not current or recent
Hobby Farming - a life long passion, but not practical to be a career for me, mostly smaller animals that I could manage, always chickens
Model Railroading - had I been able, this would have been a career
Cars: Classics,Muscle and Pickups - 3 El Caminos, Cutlass, Leata - car shows, car cruise local drives, show & shines
Fishing - going to the lake tomorrow, on a friend's boat
Hotwheels - probably 2500, since my Mom got me started when I was hospitalized regularly as a child (downsizing begins)
probably more, but I'm not including discontinued things like Stamp Collecting, Coin Collecting (not my things really). I have already gotten rid of most of my Coffee Mugs also.

Like I said, it's just too much. Time to focus.

/ Hobbies and Interests #2  
I like watches. I have many watches.

I think it comes from men not wearing jewelry - except a wedding ring - and women having lots and lots of jewelry.

MoKelly

/ Hobbies and Interests #3  
3 or more of anything is a collection.
3 or more collections is a museum.

:)

I collect metal bottle and can openers.
My wife collects toothpick holders.

Both are small items and don't cost very much at antique stores and flea markets.

I have maybe 150 openers and they fit in 2 cigar boxes.

Her toothpick holders all fit on a nice old shelf that we found that was made out of recycled wooden bottle crates.

It's a fun hobby to just browse around shops.

/ Hobbies and Interests #4  
My wife collects rubber ducks. She has over 300. Kind of nice because they don't cost much to feed.
I collect guns. Been collecting and competion shooting since age 6. Not going to say how many I have but, if I sold most of them I could retire in style 😎.

/ Hobbies and Interests #5  
I collect metal bottle and can openers.

I have maybe 150 openers and they fit in 2 cigar boxes.

So, my youngest son is 22. Soon to be 23.

He does not drink alcohol. Never has.

Last weekend he had a date with a new potential girlfriend. He decided to cook her a meal at our home.

The girl likes to drink hard Apple cider. So, he buys a 6 pack.

Getting ready for the dinner he tries to open the bottle of hard cider. Can’t twist off the cap. Asks my wife “how do get this open”? Wife says “can opener”. He looks confused and says “the electric can opener? How would that work”?

Kid is almost 23!!!!

I take him to our bar area and get out an old fashion can opener —- u opener on one side and v opener on other side. Say “here you go”.

He looks at it and says “Which side do I use”?

So, I can barely keep from laughing. I say “u side son”.

My gosh. How can you be almost 23 and never have used a can opener to open a bottle!

MoKelly

/ Hobbies and Interests #6  
By not drinking. Everything else is twist off or pull tab and has been for years.

/ Hobbies and Interests #7  
I have a small collection of bamboo fly rods and classic fly reels that seldom get used anymore.

For some reason, I have a collection of hats. I've thrown out numerous but they seem to multiply like pallets.

/ Hobbies and Interests #8  
LOL , I collect too much!
(I'd be embarrassed to show my shop and work bench.)

However I have amassed a decent collection of brass candlesticks.
Some from EBay bidding but most from yard/garage sales.

Then TOOLS as I like to have the right tool for that specific task and that ranges from aviation specific to general purpose metal and woodworking.
(I was an aviation A&P) but always enjoyed woodworking/building hence my collection.
Even working/modifying my CUT has found frequent use of some of those specialized tools.

/ Hobbies and Interests #9  
So, my youngest son is 22. Soon to be 23.

He does not drink alcohol. Never has.

Last weekend he had a date with a new potential girlfriend. He decided to cook her a meal at our home.

The girl likes to drink hard Apple cider. So, he buys a 6 pack.

Getting ready for the dinner he tries to open the bottle of hard cider. Can’t twist off the cap. Asks my wife “how do get this open”? Wife says “can opener”. He looks confused and says “the electric can opener? How would that work”?

Kid is almost 23!!!!

I take him to our bar area and get out an old fashion can opener —- u opener on one side and v opener on other side. Say “here you go”.

He looks at it and says “Which side do I use”?

So, I can barely keep from laughing. I say “u side son”.

My gosh. How can you be almost 23 and never have used a can opener to open a bottle!

MoKelly
That is pretty nice. :) Most beer bottles are twist off, yet there are still some that aren't and require an opener.

I'd guess 99% of my openers are beer related. I have a few Coke and Pepsi. And some from Dairies for milk bottles. And a few paint can openers that have the prybar for the paint can on one end and a bottle opener in the loop handle.

/ Hobbies and Interests
MoKelly - that's funny