Hoe

/ Hoe #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
Anyone tried the PT Backhoe? I’ve got quite a few trenches to dig and a small backhoe would be handy. I remember a couple folks had purchased the Lackender hoe. I was wondering if the PT hoe might be better suited to a 425’s hydraulics. Also, has anyone figured out how to install a better mechanism for the auxiliary hydraulics. That handle below the knee would get tiresome.

Also, has anyone considered a Cadplans hoe using the PT’s hydraulics? Don’t know if that would even work. However, it would be nice to have a hoe that pivots without having to move the entire tractor and a Capplans hoe would be a relativity inexpensive solution if one could use the PT’s hydraulics.

/ Hoe #2  
Sedgewood tested my Lackender and then bought the PT hoe for his 1845. Bubenberg and I have the Lackenders and really like them. Sedgewood will report on his, I'm sure, but at last report liked it a lot.
As reported in the joystick button thread, I mounted a diverter valve, so I don't use the knee handle. Surprisingly, however, for hoe use, I think the knee handle isn't too bad. A little slower, but it isn't a high-speed job.

/ Hoe #3  
Do you mean the mini hoe that is a finger with bucket that cannot pivot side to side or the full blown back hoe?

Ed has the real deal on his PT425. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=powertrac&Number=214921&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1> click here </A> to see his pictures. They are down a few posts. It is the back hoe from a PT2425. Looks pretty cool.

I spoke to the folks at Cadplans a few months ago. They said there is no reason one of their units couldn't be powered from the PT425 hydraulics. The folks at Power Trac said the same thing, as long as it is all plumbed "open center".

/ Hoe
I would like to get the functionality of the full PT Hoe (i.e., Ed’s Hoe) without the $2700 price. I could probably make do with the $900 PT mini-hoe (in the attachment) but it would be nice to not have to move the entire tractor to dump each bucket. So, I thought it might be possible to order a Cadplans kit and build a hoe that can move side to side but doesn’t cost $2700. Based on the Cadplans kit pricing, I think I could order a usable kit for around $1500-$1700. That’s enough savings to also order a nice welder and still have money left over. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Attachments

• 54-227444-minihoe2[1].jpg
    54-227444-minihoe2[1].jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 163
   / Hoe #5  
Hey Marrt:

I'm not sure what you mean by "having to move the whole tractor". With the PT or Lackender hoe, you can "emulate" the swing of a traditional backhoe by simply turning the steering...that'll swing the whole hoe to one side or the nothing, although not nearly as much as a backhoe does.

HTH,
Dave

/ Hoe #6  
Charlie: <font color=red>Surprisingly, however, for hoe use, I think the knee handle isn't too bad.</font color=red>

I'll second that. To date I haven't a lot of seat time with the minihoe but it is easier than might be expected to work with the knee handle. For one thing if you get the bucket set just right you can do a surprising amount just by curling the boom. And the side to side swing with steering works well too. Also repositioning the tractor is quick with no outriggers to lift etc. And backing away while filling the bucket "rips" a ditch. Its a different dynamic I still have to learn more about but I did manage to put in about 150 feet of drain pipe a foot deep in very wet soft soil in 2 hours flat.

/ Hoe
Well, sounds like the PT hoe is the way to go. Dang. Now I will have to come up with some new project to “save” my way into a new welder. Wonder if the wife would like a metal bed. Hmmmm.

/ Hoe #8  
<font color=blue>put in about 150 feet of drain pipe a foot deep in very wet soft soil in 2 hours flat.</font color=blue>

That's pretty good. I'm impressed.

/ Hoe #9  
This feedback along w/ others comments is helping me to make up my mind...good timing ,too, as I'm making that pilgrimage Monday morning, just as some of the Tazewell players are heading up to Columbus,O. for a nursery trade show.