Hog damage

/ Hog damage #41  
Are you talking about Deer?
Of course not...were talking about hogs and hog damage?

There was one guy who muddied the water I saw who was talking about deer doing corn damage but the DNR guy said it was cows.

/ Hog damage #42  
They have something right now that I was thinking I heard our biologist at work talk about for hogs. I think it was sodium nitrate. Something about it being lethal to them but no other mammals? I will have to ask again.

/ Hog damage #43  
Wild hogs seem to come and go here. Sometimes you don't see any sign of them for weeks at a time, other times, they are tearing up everything, everywhere. This happened overnight and it's pretty extensive. My neighbor said that in one weekend, he counted over 300 on his 240 acres. I've never seen a group larger then 27 myself.

When I first moved here, I was excited about hunting them, but now it's just an effort to try and keep them away so I can mow and take care of the land. They are good target practice, and we use the meat in the crock pot for dog food, but I haven't eaten one years. I like beef a lot more!!!

Eventually I will build my fence around my place and they can be my neighbors problem.

View attachment 643502

I'll be more than happy to come out and shoot them anytime you want. I have this nice 460 Smith that is a hog hammer.

/ Hog damage #45  
Many of the big hogs will not go in a trap. They got that way from seeing hogs caught in other traps. Using night vision or flir scopes and shooting those guys at night is about the only way to control them. I also use a handheld flir to locate the hogs while easing around at night and then shooting. You can also use a red or green filter on a light to go with your rifle. Green can be seen further but the hogs react to it more than the red. But, if you turn the light on and pointing upward and slowly bring it down on the hog they usually don't spook. Sodium nitrate will be the magic bullet.

/ Hog damage #46  
Some HERE would have fewer questions if they read the link. :rolleyes: Encapsulated sodium nitrate has been in testing for five years. It's hemo-disruptive in large enough quantities. That hogs tend to gorge is part of its specificity. Metabolism and/or exposure to almost any environmental conditions cause it to break down.

This happens at a rate that if a hog fails to eat a lethal dose it will likely have dissipated by the next day or so. Danger to 'diners' is minimized by the fragile stability of the 'poison'. Dressed hogs will show dark blood that lacks oxygen. There are only two pages to read in the link, longer that a forum post, but giving hope.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/wildlife_damage/feral-swine-bait.pdf

btw, I laughed when I first saw mouse 'poison' that was just corn gluten, which they alone (mice,rats) cannot digest. No secondary kill of animals that CAN digest it. Much differently the hog 'poison' relies as much on the delivery system. It cannot survive exposure to air and can't just be added to feed as it's not stable enough to survive. Not all "poisons" are hazardous to any but target animals.

/ Hog damage
That sounds hopeful. I like that something is being worked on that might solve this problem. And it is a HUGE issue here. Hay fields are big money for land owners and in a couple of nights, acres can be destroyed for the year that will take time and money away from the land owner to fix and get back into production. Just an expense that shouldn't exist. If you don't catch it soon enough, they can dig holes several feet deep!!!!!

/ Hog damage #48  
I responded to a youtube comment that hog hunting was just "thrill killing" with no purpose.

I suggested the guy plant 40 acres of corn and come back to the site with how many acres weren't rooted up by the following morning.

Dude probably lives in Philadelphia or a similarly 'agrarian area'. :rolleyes: He never answered back, but my post got a like or two.

/ Hog damage #49  
Of course not...were talking about hogs and hog damage?

There was one guy who muddied the water I saw who was talking about deer doing corn damage but the DNR guy said it was cows.

You quoted me talking about Deer, Turkeys and Geese. I just took a guess as to which one you were referencing. Of course you weren't talking about any of the three. Not sure why you quoted me. :confused3:

/ Hog damage #50  
You quoted me talking about Deer, Turkeys and Geese. I just took a guess as to which one you were referencing. Of course you weren't talking about any of the three. Not sure why you quoted me. :confused3:
I thought you were saying that DNR claims to own all wildlife. And the post about hogs. Other game species was just lost I guess in me reading it.