Home computer security plan???

/ Home computer security plan??? #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Mom's computer had pop up mania - downloaded ad aware and spybot search & destroy. removed ~200 unsavory files.

Here is what I'm using at home
Zone Alarm Pro
Norton Antivirus
Ad Aware
spybot search & destroy
Windows XP Net connection set for "firewall"

Zone alarm seems to be blocking a bunch of attempts

Questions - are there any Windows or IE settings I should change?

Where does all this spyware junk come from?

I had the sasser worm (prior to me getting any of the security software) - where did it come from?

Rant - How come I can't just buy a computer. plug it in & use it without having to tweak it for optimum performance. Can't my IP (Comcast) slow down this stuff?

/ Home computer security plan??? #2  
I would suggest a router, such as the Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/dsl Router with 4-PT Switch . This will hide your computer from the Internet by functioning as a hardware firewall. I prefer the cabled version, but there are also wireless modems that will allow your computers to be used anywhere within the wireless range. If you don't set up the wireless router's security just right, anybody within electronic range can access your computer freely and openly.

Most of the spyware comes from places you surf and from downloads you perform. If you've ever added a third-party toolbar to Internet Explorer, you've probably added spyware to your system. You can't expect the portals to protect you from stuff you asked for.

I'm running Win98SE, Linksys Cable Router, Norton Antivirus and Personal Firewall, Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. I have my Internet Security set to accept first-party cookies, block third-party cookies, and allow session cookies. So far - no pop-ups, no viruses, no worms, no spyware.

Of course, the evil forces will continue to try.

/ Home computer security plan??? #3  
<font color="blue"> Can't my IP (Comcast) slow down this stuff? </font>

You get these from the websites you visit. How is Comcast supposed to determine what sites you want to see and what sites you don't want to see?

You can use a HOSTS file -- for more information see Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File.

You can use the HOSTS file they supply you, and then add/remove sites yourself to customize it. I usually use it as-is, but have made slight modifications to it.

/ Home computer security plan??? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( IE settings I should change )</font>

Mozilla Firefox is a great browser that solves a ton of issues that are inherent to IE. You can easily import your IE settings and it works great.

/ Home computer security plan??? #5  
Currently I use the Mozilla based Netscape 7.1, Zone Alarm, Norton AntiVirus 2004, Ad-Aware, SpyBot Search & Destroy (I love the way that sounds! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), and Spy Bouncer. Using the Internet isn't too safe anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Home computer security plan??? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Rant - How come I can't just buy a computer. plug it in & use it without having to tweak it for optimum performance )</font>

You can. They're called Macintosh's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Home computer security plan??? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can. They're called Macintosh's. )</font>

If only it were that simple. I've spent so many hours on Mac's trying to diagnose Extension Conflicts that it isn't funny. I really hate when you get the Sad Mac icon with no error messages.

/ Home computer security plan??? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would suggest a router )</font>

On the advice of others on this forum, I bought a router. And since I usually have no idea what I'm doing where computers are concerned, I asked the salesman at Fry's Electronics what the more expensive ones did that the cheap ones didn't do and he indicated nothing (I think he just didn't know), so anyway I bought the cheap one; U.S. Robotics, model 8003, and so far I haven't had any complaints. Of course for me, the cheap one had another advantage in addition to price; no software, programming, etc. required.

/ Home computer security plan??? #9  
<font color="blue"> Rant - How come I can't just buy a computer. plug it in & use it without having to tweak it for optimum performance. </font>

<font color="black"> Because I would be out of a job. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font>