Home incinerator project

/ Home incinerator project #11  
Cuz I don't have trash service
When you say “don’t have…” do you mean it‘s not available, or are you saying you don’t want to pay for it?

/ Home incinerator project #12  
I made a fire pit out of an old home oil tank. Bottom half is taller by a couple inches. Use the top half as a lid. Easy to dump ashes onto ground or into bucket.
As the tank normally stands, I laid on side and cut that way, for a large burn area.

/ Home incinerator project #13  
I've researched ideas for a home incinerator to use outdoors.
The only purchased item that comes close to what I want is $2300 and $1300 shipping.

I have this burn barrel but because it's difficult to get the ash out, rain causes the ash to rust the bottom of the barrel

I need a big opening as we burn a lot of trash (no plastics or glass).

My idea is to use cinder blocks and keep the blocks from shifting by using rebar hammered in the openings from the top into the ground.

I can buy mesh material at Home Depot to lay on the top.

Anyone have ideas that doesn't require welding? View attachment 848565
This will work with some minor adjustments; add some pipe or grate between the 2 and 3rd course to keep the bulk elevated while burning. A chimney would create a draw to allow a more complete burn and a metal pan on the ground would give you a “clean out” drawer.
As to other comments about using firebrick, parging with a thick coat of red clay, fireplace cement, etc would be cheaper.

Maybe make it a little fancier and use as a wood fired bbq too?

/ Home incinerator project #14  
For free, you can just dig a trench and burn in trench like my grandpa and dad used to do.

/ Home incinerator project #15  
I would worry that something that small will require you to be burning every day. Especially if you have a wife that buys everything online like mine does. Ever since Covid, she pretty much refuses to go into stores to shop, so we get a massive amount of cardboard boxes every month that end up on the burn pile. I add a few trees to it, and when we burn, it's an all day event.

/ Home incinerator project #16  
I have a 55 gallon barrel. I've drilled holes for air - around the sides and holes in the bottom for water drainage. I only burn in the winter with snow on the ground. I only burn cardboard and associated packages. My barrel will last five years. Then it's, more or less, rusted out and full of ash.

I grab it with the grapple and take it to my landfill trench.

/ Home incinerator project #17  
Perhaps you could build a stand and a pivot about 1/3 the way from the bottom that would allow you to tilt the barrel over for cleaning.

$516.60 for a burn barrel??

I thought people just used 50 gallon drums and cut some holes around the bottom.

/ Home incinerator project #18  
I have 2 burn barrels I made from 120 Gal propane tanks. I cut the top off and burned vent holes in the sides & bottom with a torch. I've been using them for 12 years now and they are no where near rusted through. The trick is to cut enough holes to get good air flow. If you do it right, it sounds like a jet engine when you get a good fire going.

I pick them up with the grapple and dump the ash.

If you try this, make sure you take the proper precautions before cutting up a propane tank. There are several posts here on how to do it safely.

/ Home incinerator project #19  
I did buy this burn barrel. The problem is getting the ash out. I've already went through one set of panels because of rust.

Maybe I can modify the Pyro Cage
How about having a base that elevates your burn barrel enough to get air in under the bottom, and deep enough that it will be easy for you to pull out the ashes? (Rake height, shovel height, large sheet metal pan, etc.)

All the best,

Peter

/ Home incinerator project #20  
Do these new and improved burn barrels use DEF or do they go into a REGEN cycle every few hours?

I just ventilate a 55 gallon drum with .38 specials so it can get some air and then light a match. Need a few holes in the bottom for drainage and the rest around the circumference. Low tech solution. It does fill up with ash after a while.