Home Insurance inspection ploy?

/ Home Insurance inspection ploy? #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
We received a notice from our insurance company that we have been automatically enrolled in Wildfire Defense Services, which is now included in our home insurance policy. They provide "wildlife mitigation and loss prevention services to help protect your home." Sounds like a good idea and something I should welcome. However, my usually repressed paranoia has surfaced - I recall about ten years ago our then home insurer said they would be doing home inspections to identify any issues with fire risk. They did that, I addressed their concerns, but they then cancelled our home insurance. And I recall they cancelled thousands of policies at the same time using this inspection program so we had to scurry for new insurance - not an easy task then. I also recall that that insurance company had just before then lost a lawsuit brought by the state of California which mandated certain changes in their policies - I don't recall the details, but heard they were abandoning the California market - or large portions of it - in response to the lawsuit.

Anyway, I welcome the concept - just hope it is as supportive of homeowners as it is presented and not a ploy to then begin cancelling policies. And BTW - I understand the need to address any issues affecting fire risk - both for homeowners and insurance companies.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited:
   / Home Insurance inspection ploy? #2  
WildFIRE Defense would make sense in your area. But wildlife? Do you have attacking bears?

/ Home Insurance inspection ploy? #3  
Do you have PROBLEMS with wildlife?

If no, I would just leave well enough alone....

Later,
Dan

/ Home Insurance inspection ploy? #4  
wildfire, im sure you mean. we recently received the same kind of letter about it being added to our policy. we are right outside the city limits and not really under threat of wild fire here, it would have to burn thousands of homes before it made it all the way to our place.

/ Home Insurance inspection ploy?
Thanks for the catch - edited to "wildfire".

/ Home Insurance inspection ploy? #6  
Our insurer State Farm sent us a notification about this. But I have not heard anything about inspections now or ever in the 24 years we have been with them. Even CalFire has only been out twice and that was long ago. The only comment they had was that we needed a blue reflector by the hydrant.

State Farm does not give discounts for updating your house to current WUI code. Which is kind of dumb. I think that because it'd involve knowing what was there before and what the improvements are, they figure it'd be too much of their time.

I think if you do what CalFire and your county recommend for clearing it'd be hard for any insurance company to use the lack of clearing to justify non renewal. Of course they don't have to justify it, they can just do it. Or raise the rates so much that it's effectively the same.

Having been a wildland fire fighter I wonder how the private fire fighters will coordinate with the official ones, or if they'll be in their way and get kicked out of closed areas.

/ Home Insurance inspection ploy? #7  
Do not let anyone on your property unless you have to file a claim.

/ Home Insurance inspection ploy? #8  
Do not let anyone on your property unless you have to file a claim.
Probably good advice,....unless they threaten to cancel for lack of inspection.
I did refuse inspection, and never heard another word about it.

/ Home Insurance inspection ploy? #9  
Last time the insurance company came out, in short order I had to install a fence around my pool and hand rails on the front steps.

/ Home Insurance inspection ploy? #10  
With the use of drones, they don't need to come on the property anymore. At least not for fire and general safety items (like the pool fence). Not sure just how legal it is in Cali or any other State though.