Home made cab

/ Home made cab #1  

Dan in Casselman

Tractor
John deere 1023e
I am in eastern ontario Canada so it get cold and lots of wind and snow. So a cab is needed in the winter. I made it in 2 days in near freezing temperatures. I got the tractor late fall.i Hope up grade it in summer.

It is made from 2x2 for the frame. The roof is tin. The clear covering is heavy duty vinyl table cloth. It is stretched over the frame. The frame is screwed together. Metal hinges for the door. About 100$ to build.

The frame is attached to the old fabric cab attachment points. Which came with the tractor. After 3 years the old fabric cab was done. So i made a new one.

Lights were added . 1 in front on the cab to shine over the snow blower. 2 lights to shine on the side of the tractor. 1 light behind. The lights are wired into the tractor ligh switch. I have 1 door. I used the flashers on the rop .

With the clear vinyl I can see most things with few blind spots. It has Manuel windshield wiper that was sold for atv

It is not a looker but keeps the weather out. Lots of room

Simple and cheap to build. No heater yet. I looked at different option on Amazon.

The frame can be made in a heated shop with the vinyl on. Then assemble on the tractor. In the spring it can be removed in 30 minutes.

Hope this help someone else stay out of the weather while moving snow.

Attachments

• 20231113_163841.jpg
    20231113_163841.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 239
  • 20231112_191000.jpg
    20231112_191000.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 230
  • 20231112_191016.jpg
    20231112_191016.jpg
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 20231112_191029.jpg
    20231112_191029.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 239
  • 20231112_191031.jpg
    20231112_191031.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 253
  • 20231113_163710.jpg
    20231113_163710.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 243
  • 20231113_163717.jpg
    20231113_163717.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 254
  • 20231113_163726.jpg
    20231113_163726.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 235
  • 20231113_163734.jpg
    20231113_163734.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 241
  • 20231113_163746.jpg
    20231113_163746.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 238
   / Home made cab #2  
You would have made my Dad envious......

/ Home made cab #4  
I am in eastern ontario Canada so it get cold and lots of wind and snow. So a cab is needed in the winter. I made it in 2 days in near freezing temperatures. I got the tractor late fall.i Hope up grade it in summer.

It is made from 2x2 for the frame. The roof is tin. The clear covering is heavy duty vinyl table cloth. It is stretched over the frame. The frame is screwed together. Metal hinges for the door. About 100$ to build.

The frame is attached to the old fabric cab attachment points. Which came with the tractor. After 3 years the old fabric cab was done. So i made a new one.

Lights were added . 1 in front on the cab to shine over the snow blower. 2 lights to shine on the side of the tractor. 1 light behind. The lights are wired into the tractor ligh switch. I have 1 door. I used the flashers on the rop .

With the clear vinyl I can see most things with few blind spots. It has Manuel windshield wiper that was sold for atv

Simple and cheap to build. No heater yet. I looked at different option on Amazon.

The frame can be made in a heated shop with the vinyl on. Then assemble on the tractor. In the spring it can be removed in 30 minutes.

No matter how crude or professional a cab is made, I still look at the blogged thread to learn more on the DIY methods.

DIY at times is due to a strong necessity of needing one without spending mega dollars. Good for you and hoping the construction holds up well.

As for a heater, there are diesel fired cab heaters and electric types. If your temps are so frigid, go with the diesel stand-alone models.

/ Home made cab #5  
Search for "AH454 Heater" for one that uses the engine coolant. I used one in a DIY cab and it was great.

/ Home made cab #6  
@Dan in Casselman

Thanks for the post, I really appreciate it.

I just got my tractor and rear snow blower in October, but due to health issues I haven't had much seat time.
However, I still had to be out there yesterday to deal with the Sunday/Monday snow storm we got.
Sitting in that open cab I wished for two things:
1) some kind of protection from blow-back and falling snow
2) remote chute up/down (I have chute rotation thru hydraulic remote)

I will be using some of your ideas when I'm allowed back in the shop.

Heavy duty table cloth..... I never would have come up with that!

Thanks again,
Brian

/ Home made cab #7  
As long as it serves the intended purpose, keeping the snow out and slowing the cold wind down.
I made one from 1” PVC, clear shower curtain, acrylic sheet for front and rear windows, and artic vinyl for the roof.
I do have some air gaps to contend with, but I’ll just have to see how it works in a actual use.

/ Home made cab #9  

Impressive, DIY.

/ Home made cab #10  

Simple and functional. Love it. Good work.