Home made catch basin cover?

/ Home made catch basin cover? #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
I have a catch basin in my yard and I need to make a cover for it. Basically I have an area that's draining towards my driveway and I wasn't able to get a culvert to drain it. So I took a piece of 18" corrugated pipe and installed it vertically. I then have the culvert entering the side of the vertical pipe. A home owner grade catch basin if you will. Unfortunately, nobody makes plastic grates for a 18" corrugated pipe. Looks like I have a welding project!

I was thinking of rolling a piece of 1/4" for the outside lip and then having a cross grid of rebar for the the grate. Only problem is that I can't roll 1/4". I need to be careful to distribute the weight of the grate (and lawn mover) over the plastic pipe or the pipe will crush. Looking for your design ideas!

/ Home made catch basin cover? #2  
use 1" flat for the rim/lip

/ Home made catch basin cover?
The only way I know how to use 1" flat for the lip is to have it cut out of a piece of plate. It's do-able, but it won't be cheap. I'll be throwing away more metal than I'm using.

/ Home made catch basin cover? #4  
1" flat stock rolled around the culvert to make a band then weld the rebar to the top of it for the grate. You are just wanting a something to set over the pipe and keep people, and pets out right???

/ Home made catch basin cover? #5  
040395562325lg.jpg

Shop Steelworks 3-ft x 1/4-in Aluminum Metal Flat Bar at Lowes.com

/ Home made catch basin cover?
Yea, so you are rolling in the vertical plane. I was thinking you were trying to flat roll it. That's how I was initially thinking of doing it.

/ Home made catch basin cover? #7  
Yea, so you are rolling in the vertical plane. I was thinking you were trying to flat roll it. That's how I was initially thinking of doing it.

just take the flat bar and bend into a hoop. then attach your rebar to that.

/ Home made catch basin cover? #8  
pour a few inches of concrete around it.

a metal ring brace just going fall down as the plastic pipe gets crushed under weight.

a few inches wide and a few inches deep concrete ring. will help spread out the weight, so the plastic pipe itself does not need to support the weight. would suggest a couple pieces of rebar, in the concrete to prevent major cracking / splitting. guessing 6" wide to 6" deep. for concrete rim. wider and deeper the better.

you might want to make a form out of plywood, if ya looking for the "grating" to set down into a lip and top of grating being more flushed with top of the concrete.

3/8" rebar to 1/2" rebar. different techniques out there. to bend it. a local metal fab shop, to a pipe bender (triangle shape piece, with a long metal pole), to a hydraulic press with rollers. to heating it up with a torch and bending it haphazardly. you might get lucky and local hardware store renting something (menards, lowes, homedepot, etc...)

=======
i have had some issues of "washing out" were a vertical / horizontal pipes have came together. and instead of back filling with dirt / rock. i just poured a few inches of concrete in the bottom center of the vertical pipe, and then around the connection of the 2 culvert pipes on the outside.

/ Home made catch basin cover? #9  
Use 1" X 1/8" flat stock rolled the easy way to fit arround the outside of the culvert pipe.

Cut round or square stock (or re-bar) to go across the ring, adding 2.5" to bend a leg at each end. Weld the bent leggs to the outside of the ring. Each piece will need to shorter as you go away from the center one.

If you like, add pieces going across the first bars to make a grid. If not making a grid, add one(or more) pieces on the underside to tie all the bars together.

/ Home made catch basin cover? #10  
Thin flat stock like 1/8 and even 1/4 up to 2" wide can be made into a hoop if you have a solidly mounted vice.
I leave the jaws opened about 1" and yank down that flat stock moving about an inch at a time.
That starts the shaping of the hoop. Naturally some corrections will be necessary.

Made a hoop for one drain using 3" X 1/8" flat and actually rolled it by hand simply started it with one foot on ground and manhandled (wore gloves) into a 24" diam loop.Vice grips helped a lot.
That 24" coil became the lip for a manhole cover.
I welded the 3" "ring" to a 5/16" circular plate that was a cutout that I found at the scrap yard.
It made me the ideal cover for my septic pump out station.

For a sturdy surface I have used T-bar fencing with flat side facing out and notched and welded to the ring.

Have a 16 X 24 grate with T-bar that I drive my tractor and cars over all the time.