Home style remedies

/ Home style remedies #1  

tcreeley

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TC30
I don't like doctors, medicines and the whole medical process, so I am always looking for alternatives.
Here are some things I have a preference for: toothaches- I use left over antibiotics for a couple of days; arthritic inflammation - ceylon cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon in my morning coffee every day; sore joints - turmeric capsule; stiff joints - concentrated lemon juice; waking up at night - concentrated tart cherry juice (shot before going to bed), high blood pressure - beet juice, no salt, lose weight.
I find these work for me. I don't take any medications and I don't use any aspirin, tylenol, ibuprofen, etc. or cold meds.
Lately I have been drinking a cup of stinging nettle tea every day for my perpetual cough. It helps. Coughing used to wake me at night and hit me outside, Big improvement.

Anybody else take this kind of approach? I am curious to see what works for you. I tried cayenne pepper for coughing but it wasn't for me- also concerned it would raise BP.

I always try to track down side effects. WebMD is helpful for that sometimes, along with reviews. Nothing scientific.

/ Home style remedies #2  
To get some sleep when you have a bad cold or cough I swear by a shot of clear liquor (moonshine, clear rum, or vodka) mixed with a good amount of lemon juice and honey in a double shot glass. Mix it till the honey mixes in (just takes a few swishes) and drink it down.

A hot lemon tea substituted for the lemon juice works as well.

Stops the cough for me and puts me to sleep better than Nyquil and I don't have the "medicine head" feeling later.

View attachment 406740

/ Home style remedies #4  
I'm all for natural cures as long as they work. But I'm pretty sure that'a mis-use of antibiotics in that:
A. you don't know you have an infection.
B. if you do have an infection, you should see a doctor to make sure its that, and not something else, like an abscessed tooth.
C. you shouldn't have any left over antibiotics. Doctors prescribe antibiotics to be taken until gone. People taking them just till they "feel better" are what's contributing to the rise of antibiotic resistant viruses. Not taking the full course of antibiotics just weakens the virus and doesn't kill it. The surviving virus now have greater immunity to the antibiotic.

/ Home style remedies #5  
Best cough medicine I know of is this. Slice a big onion about 3/8" thick and sprinkle on a thick layer of sugar. Cover for an hour or so and after it draws a syrup take a T spoon as needed.
I also use turpentine for
cuts and bruses. It takes the soreness out.

/ Home style remedies #7  
A piece of pine tar, from a short leaf pine, about the size of a green pea will cure a bladder infection. Just swallow it like a pill.

/ Home style remedies #8  
A friskitated and willing blonde headed woman is good for the prostate, but bad for the wallet.

/ Home style remedies #9  
IMO...The human immune system is one of the most powerful things we (humans) have...granted it does little for physical injuries etc...but it is still the best natural antibiotic we have...the over use of prescription drugs (antibiotics etc.) have only made many of the "bugs" that attack us stronger and at the same time weakening our natural defenses...also things like preservatives and processed sugars etc. are a detriment to the human immune system...

Some simple research on the human immune system will reveal natural supplements etc. that help support our natural guards...IMO, natural (unpasteurized) honey is one of the best things humans can ingest...vinegar may be a close second...and do not disregard the power of the human mind (over matter)...

As for a "home remedy"...the best one that comes to mind is for physical burns...the next time you get a burn...say from accidentally grabbing a piece of hot steel after welding etc...or a typical kitchen burn is flour...it is truly amazing how well it works on 1st and 2nd degree burns...I have no idea how or why it works so well but I have had burns that normally would produce a nasty blister but a day after being treated with flour it is like it never happened...! give it a try and you will become a believer in this remedy...!

be well...:thumbsup:

/ Home style remedies #10  
Apply the juice from an onion to stop the pain from a bee sting. It works, and it works very quickly. I was mowing around our Rose of Sharon; went to brush a fallen bloom off my lap and got a bumble bee sting in the palm of my hand. My Dad was watching, and he advised me to use the onion juice. I thought, "yeah, I'll humor him, and who knows, it might just work". I tried it, and it worked...almost instantly. Take it from me; a bumble bee sting hurts like H.