Home weather station suggestions

/ Home weather station suggestions #51  
Ambient.

I had LaCross for several years, always replacing one sensor or another every year (and always failing when big weather events were happening!). Pretty sure they have improved (?) since then, but I moved on to Ambient.

My Ambient system has been, other than changing out the backup batteries (as others have stated, go with lithium), flawless. Ambient now has an anemometer that has no moving parts; I've been thinking about getting it (because I'm a bit of a weather geek).

I still have my LaCross display, which provides "forecasts" (barometric algorithm is really good). Having been in meteorology, however, I've got a pretty good idea of how to forecast based on trends (and observations).

Weather Underground stopped picking up my station via their app: still can get it via a web browser. It's a fairly recent phenomenon that has irked a lot of people. I dumped the app and am kind of protesting.

Ambient's app allows you to get indoor info (have to have an account set up- security).

Read reviews. That's what pointed me toward Ambient.

/ Home weather station suggestions #52  
I also use La Cross, wifi connected you can check your sensors wherever your phone works. Davis is good too but can get pricey.

/ Home weather station suggestions #53  
I have an Ambient Weather station which I have had for about 5 years. It is extendable with several temp sensors (one in garage and one in crawl space with plumbing). It also shares data with the internet at Ambient and Weather Underground. Do I really need it, I suppose not, it is kind of a toy. I am on the shore of one of the Great Lakes and the temp can be 5-10 degrees different at the shore than at the other end of the drive. Also it's interesting to know the wind speed. My old station died during a storm it reported winds of 60mph before a tree fell on it. Winds were reported to get over 70mph that day.

/ Home weather station suggestions #54  
I've had several over the years, including some upwards of $300, and none can withstand the amount of snow they could receive in even one or two days. Eventually, the spinning cups for the wind speed portion will either deform or snap off entirely. These things just can't stand the weight of the heavy, wet snow that we can receive.

/ Home weather station suggestions #55  
I have an Ambient Weather station which I have had for about 5 years. It is extendable with several temp sensors (one in garage and one in crawl space with plumbing). It also shares data with the internet at Ambient and Weather Underground. Do I really need it, I suppose not, it is kind of a toy. I am on the shore of one of the Great Lakes and the temp can be 5-10 degrees different at the shore than at the other end of the drive. Also it's interesting to know the wind speed. My old station died during a storm it reported winds of 60mph before a tree fell on it. Winds were reported to get over 70mph that day.

You said it best: 'Do I really need it, I suppose not, it is kind of a toy.'

As far as I know, they can inform user of past and current weather at the site they are located, but not much more.

To know current weather, why not just take a look outside, or even better go outside - unless the weather is really bad?

If the weather is really bad, read post #2 in this thread.

Just saying.

Thinking.jpg

Each to his own!

/ Home weather station suggestions #56  
I have a Vantage pro 2, and like it. My neighbor has a Tempest, and loves it. If I were in the market now, I would buy a Tempest, just because the rain gauge never needs cleaning. The accessories from Davis are pricey, though the product quality has been excellent and technical support top notch.

All the best,

Peter
The Davis units are about the best an amateur can get. I've had my wired Weather Monitor II for 25+ years, and the 9v tranformer is the only thing needing replacement.

/ Home weather station suggestions
My Tempest reports about 2 1/2 times the actual rainfall. I have a Davis Vantage Vue that had been outstanding up until about 2 years ago when it started having certain wind events affect the rain tipper. The Davis is 15+ years old. I bought the Tempest as a double check of the rain fall. That was a big fail.
Have you ever checked to see if you can calibrate the rain meter?

/ Home weather station suggestions #58  
Have you ever checked to see if you can calibrate the rain meter?
There are ways to calibrate it, and I do know of a software update that improved the accuracy of my neighbor's Tempest's haptic rain gauge significantly.

YMMV...

All the best,

Peter

/ Home weather station suggestions #59  
Acurite

Attachments

• 20221204_174548.jpg
    20221204_174548.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62