homemade chain harrow?

/ homemade chain harrow? #1  

Jbbies

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
Looking for homebuilt chain harrows. I have a couple old tire chains laying around and would like to build a harrow out of them.. Just looking for a design.

Brandon

/ homemade chain harrow? #2  
Chain harrows aren't made with anything like "chain." The names comes from the pieces being linked together.

You could probably use a frame pulling some tire chains just to break up some clods or stir up the surface a little.

Bruce

/ homemade chain harrow? #3  
the harrow i built is a chain harrow, its chained to the tractor any way.
i chained 4 links of I beam about 5 foot long together with about a 2 foot gap between the beams. the last piece is a old goose neck plate, it keeps the last I beam from flipping over, very important.
just dragging chain around i dont think would be very effective at leveling anything. you need the weight to do a good job IMO

/ homemade chain harrow? #4  
one may consider a tire harrow a bar with a series of tires chained to it and then a second row of tires stagged from the first row,

/ homemade chain harrow? #5  
Ill get you a picture of mine tommorow. I built mine out of feeder chain from a combine. They were free and the other harrow bar was built from a chunk of old oilfield 2 7/8s drill pipe. Cost more time than money.

/ homemade chain harrow? #6  
one may consider a tire harrow a bar with a series of tires chained to it and then a second row of tires stagged from the first row,
I build one like that from 11 900 x 20 truck tires,6 up front,5 staggered behind and a foot apart.The drawbar is a joint of 3 7/8 drill stem.
Works not to bad for busting up cow patties but for the rest it is fairly useles cause everything like old hay and dirt piles up in front and between the tires.
One may as well forget to harrow cultivated land with it,..it don't work worth a fart

/ homemade chain harrow?
What im Thinking about doing is using some heavy pipe. Cut the tire chains up. They are heavy the ones used on Semis. Attaching it to pipe in the front and back with chain in the middle. Maybe something to add some weight on it. What i want to use it for is covering some seed up after using a broadcast seeder.

Brandon

/ homemade chain harrow? #8  
For what you want to do, a piece of chain link fence wired to about 4 4x4 timber crosspieces will work fairly well. You only want to put a "skin" of soil over the seed, burying it too deep is a waste.

We're looking to build an arena drag something like this.

Sean

/ homemade chain harrow?
Thats All I was thinking about doing just enough to get seed covered up and since I have had these laying around I thought they might work good.

/ homemade chain harrow? #10  
Jbbies, Chilly 807 is correct, you want MINIMAL weight. My brother used to do a lot of seeding work for the UK Ministry of Transport and used only a panel of welded mesh fencing and dragged behind a Landrover (for speed). He also seeded a new golf course using the same method. I have broadcast grass seed for about 50 years now and originally used a chain harrow (drag type not tpl mounted) flipped on its back so that the teeth were not in use, just the links lying flat on the ground. In latter years I have used only a couple of chains, the links are made from about 3/8ths metal although I have not measured them, and spaced with light angle iron. It works. I will be sowing about 9 acres in the next couple of weeks.

Just for the record, the chain harrow (one is shown in bcp's post) when used with teeth down is for use on grassland, not for levelling. It has two purposes, one to spread horse droppings or cow pats so that they are more evenly spread and incorporated into the soil quicker by our underground armies, and secondly to freshen up the grass, similar to what you would do with a spring tine rake on you best lawn - remove dead thatch and any moss.