homemade chainsaw mill

/ homemade chainsaw mill #1  

podieroe

Tractor
gravely 5260
i once saw a logging contest where the contestants , in teams of four used volkswagon engine powered chainsaws to cut three and fourfoot diameter logs in seconds. i was thinking about building a chainsaw mill, but large chainsaws(recommended size is 70 cc or larger), can cost upto a couple of thousand dollars, so i was wondering, why not use a lawnmower motor and centrifugal clutch to build a sawhead. kinda like to hear what others might have to say about it. i'm pretty sure you'd have to reduce the speed a bit, and build a bar holder. but i think it can be done. any ideas?

/ homemade chainsaw mill #2  
i once saw a logging contest where the contestants , in teams of four used volkswagon engine powered chainsaws to cut three and fourfoot diameter logs in seconds. i was thinking about building a chainsaw mill, but large chainsaws(recommended size is 70 cc or larger), can cost upto a couple of thousand dollars, so i was wondering, why not use a lawnmower motor and centrifugal clutch to build a sawhead. kinda like to hear what others might have to say about it. i'm pretty sure you'd have to reduce the speed a bit, and build a bar holder. but i think it can be done. any ideas?

Is this Red Green?:D

Really though, I would get a high volume pump and a hydraulic motor and do it that way. Thats what I have seen in the logging industry. I have a feeling the motor by itself would lack the torque.

Chris

/ homemade chainsaw mill #3  
Look up, linnlumber.com. Linn Lumber Mills makes a kit where you can buy the saw carriage and use your own engine to make a band mill, or they will sell the whole mill kit with everything to build a mill. You just have to weld it up. It looks like they are using a basic engine which would be used on a lot splitter or lawn mower in the pics on their site.

/ homemade chainsaw mill #4  
If you google "homemade chainsaw mill" you'll get a whole bunch of them for ideas. One of the best is over on MTF
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=73710
Most are using the chainsaw itself but there's no reason you couldn't use another engine on the bar, just a lot more work.
Smiley

/ homemade chainsaw mill #5  
Is this Red Green?:D

Really though, I would get a high volume pump and a hydraulic motor and do it that way. Thats what I have seen in the logging industry. I have a feeling the motor by itself would lack the torque.

Chris

I like the suggestion Chris made - it gets the engine off the bar. The hyd motor is light and you can connect it to the engine/pump with flexible hoses so the whole bar assembly can move without having to support and move the engine with it.
-Jim

/ homemade chainsaw mill #6  
I love the idea of building something from scratch and have even tried doing this on a variety of ideas over the years. One thing that I've learned the expensive, and time consuming way, is that if you can buy it already built, regardless of the cost, you are saving money.

Everything that is already built has gone through a trial and error process. No matter how much thought you put into your design, the unknown will show up and point out what you need to redo, or scrap and do differently.

A proven, time tested product is sold for a profit, but when figuring in what it took to get it there, and what it costs to buy the materials and time to make it, you will be hard pressed to do the same for less on your own. Also keep in mind that nobody is getting rich off of one item. They have to sell a lot of them to make enough to make a living, and even then, profit levels are not all that great. Just try to figure out what the price to make it will be in materials alone and you'll find it hard to compete with a name brand supplier.

An excellent example is with trailers. If you try to build your own trailer, you will spend more in parts then you can buy one already built. You have to buy huge quantities of materials to get the discounts on materials that the trailer builders get, and then have welders who have dont it so often that they can cut and weld up a trailer in the shortest amount of man hours. Until you get to that level, you cannot compete with what the manufacturers can sell it for by doing it yourself.

Same thing applies to mills and impliments and just about everything out there.

Eddie

/ homemade chainsaw mill #7  
I saw a homemade mill designed around a vertical shaft engine with a harvester sprocket driving a harvester bar and .404 chain.

YouTube - Sawmill homemade / home built chainsaw mill

My chainsaw is a 5.5 hp on an alaskan mill and it is the smallest I would consider, if I were building one I would stay in the 15hp range. I have often considered that very project however never found the time.

/ homemade chainsaw mill #8  
To take Eddys thoughts one step further, ask yourself how much money you would save making your own lumber vs buying it from the yard. I would think you can buy a lot for what you'd put into your homebrew chainsaw thing.

/ homemade chainsaw mill #9  
I love the idea of building something from scratch and have even tried doing this on a variety of ideas over the years. One thing that I've learned the expensive, and time consuming way, is that if you can buy it already built, regardless of the cost, you are saving money.

Everything that is already built has gone through a trial and error process. No matter how much thought you put into your design, the unknown will show up and point out what you need to redo, or scrap and do differently.

A proven, time tested product is sold for a profit, but when figuring in what it took to get it there, and what it costs to buy the materials and time to make it, you will be hard pressed to do the same for less on your own. Also keep in mind that nobody is getting rich off of one item. They have to sell a lot of them to make enough to make a living, and even then, profit levels are not all that great. Just try to figure out what the price to make it will be in materials alone and you'll find it hard to compete with a name brand supplier.

An excellent example is with trailers. If you try to build your own trailer, you will spend more in parts then you can buy one already built. You have to buy huge quantities of materials to get the discounts on materials that the trailer builders get, and then have welders who have dont it so often that they can cut and weld up a trailer in the shortest amount of man hours. Until you get to that level, you cannot compete with what the manufacturers can sell it for by doing it yourself.

Same thing applies to mills and impliments and just about everything out there.

Eddie

I agree with Eddie. I work in the trailer business and I could not buy the wheels, axles, tires, couple, jack, lights, and wire for what I could buy my 18' bumper pull car hauler in 2004. I would still need to buy the wood for the deck, steel for the frame, paint, and welding supplies.

Chris

/ homemade chainsaw mill #10  
the un finieshed on mtf is mine im runnin an elctric motor with a saw sprocket to run it