Homemade Cornbread Stuffing

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Sharn Jean makes the best dressing I have ever eaten; albeit a recipe handed down from my Grandmother to my Mother and then to her. Here is her recipe, including giblet gravy.

CORNBREAD STUFFING

Ingredients for cornbread

2 cups yellow corn meal
2 cups flour
2 Tbs baking powder
2 and 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Mix ingredients in a mixing bowl; pour into a greased, 9X13" cake pan.
Place into a preheated 400 degree oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Cool; crumble and allow to dry for a couple of days.

Ingredients for Stuffing

Dry Cornbread (above)

1-14oz package of Seasoned Bread Stuffing Mix (Sharn Jean uses Pepperidge Farm)

2 cups chopped celery

2 cups chopped onion

2 cups chicken broth

2 cups (approximate) turkey broth/drippings

Salt, pepper and sage to taste

Heat onion, celery and chicken broth in a sauce pan until celery is tender.

Mix cornbread and bread stuffing mix in a large bowl; add onion/celery/chicken broth.

Add turkey drippings to effect a wet (but not soupy) mix; add salt, pepper and sage to taste.

Add 3 eggs and mix well

Place in a large pan, 3 or 4 inches deep. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour, until brown around edges and done in the center.

Best served with giblet gravy.

Note: The boss says that the amount of celery, onion and seasoning (I like a lot of sage) is pretty much a personal preference, and you will have to adjust it to your own liking.

GIBLET GRAVY

Ingredients

Giblets from turkey...gizzard, neck, tail, heart (not liver)

2 or 3 eggs; boiled

2 cups chicken broth (approximate)

flour/water thickener

salt and pepper

Cook the giblets in sauce pan in about 2 cups of chicken broth until done (about an hour or so). Remove giblets, drain and allow to cool. Strain the broth.

Boil eggs until done; slice/dice.

Cut up giblets; tease any meat from the neck. Discard the tail

Add turkey drippings and/or chicken broth to make however much gravy you want. Bring to a boil; add the flour/water thickening until it is the right consistency. Add the eggs, giblets and seasoning to taste.

Molalla1

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra, JD, MF, CAT
My only problem with your "homemade cornbread stuffing" is those pesky eggs in the giblet gravy. . . I have hated them all my life 2Lane :confused2: oh well. :thumbsup:

OP
2LaneCruzer

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
My only problem with your "homemade cornbread stuffing" is those pesky eggs in the giblet gravy. . . I have hated them all my life 2Lane :confused2: oh well. :thumbsup:

She dices them up pretty small, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if you left them out no one would be the wiser! I like to take a big slice of turkey, a dollop of mashed 'taters and a generous helping of dressing and smother them in the gravy. Add three of four of my famous bacon wrapped green beans bundles (I think I posted the recipe somewhere before) and I'm on my way...then later, nap time!

I did. https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/country-cookin/409294-oven-baked-green-beans.html

Molalla1

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra, JD, MF, CAT
She dices them up pretty small, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if you left them out no one would be the wiser! I like to take a big slice of turkey, a dollop of mashed 'taters and a generous helping of dressing and smother them in the gravy. Add three of four of my famous bacon wrapped green beans bundles (I think I posted the recipe somewhere before) and I'm on my way...then later, nap time!

I did. https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/country-cookin/409294-oven-baked-green-beans.html

Other than the eggs, your giblet gravy is pretty much the same as ours (Grandmother, mother, and wife's) without the eggs :laughing: . . . going to have the wife try your cornbread stuffing recipe for sure ;), and that's how I too like my plate smothered in :thumbsup:

OP
2LaneCruzer

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
My long lost brother!