Homemade Cornbread Stuffing

/ Homemade Cornbread Stuffing #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Sharn Jean makes the best dressing I have ever eaten; albeit a recipe handed down from my Grandmother to my Mother and then to her. Here is her recipe, including giblet gravy.

CORNBREAD STUFFING

Ingredients for cornbread

2 cups yellow corn meal
2 cups flour
2 Tbs baking powder
2 and 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Mix ingredients in a mixing bowl; pour into a greased, 9X13" cake pan.
Place into a preheated 400 degree oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Cool; crumble and allow to dry for a couple of days.

Ingredients for Stuffing

Dry Cornbread (above)

1-14oz package of Seasoned Bread Stuffing Mix (Sharn Jean uses Pepperidge Farm)

2 cups chopped celery

2 cups chopped onion

2 cups chicken broth

2 cups (approximate) turkey broth/drippings

Salt, pepper and sage to taste

Heat onion, celery and chicken broth in a sauce pan until celery is tender.

Mix cornbread and bread stuffing mix in a large bowl; add onion/celery/chicken broth.

Add turkey drippings to effect a wet (but not soupy) mix; add salt, pepper and sage to taste.

Add 3 eggs and mix well

Place in a large pan, 3 or 4 inches deep. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour, until brown around edges and done in the center.

Best served with giblet gravy.

Note: The boss says that the amount of celery, onion and seasoning (I like a lot of sage) is pretty much a personal preference, and you will have to adjust it to your own liking.

GIBLET GRAVY

Ingredients

Giblets from turkey...gizzard, neck, tail, heart (not liver)

2 or 3 eggs; boiled

2 cups chicken broth (approximate)

flour/water thickener

salt and pepper

Cook the giblets in sauce pan in about 2 cups of chicken broth until done (about an hour or so). Remove giblets, drain and allow to cool. Strain the broth.

Boil eggs until done; slice/dice.

Cut up giblets; tease any meat from the neck. Discard the tail

Add turkey drippings and/or chicken broth to make however much gravy you want. Bring to a boil; add the flour/water thickening until it is the right consistency. Add the eggs, giblets and seasoning to taste.

/ Homemade Cornbread Stuffing #3  
My only problem with your "homemade cornbread stuffing" is those pesky eggs in the giblet gravy. . . I have hated them all my life 2Lane :confused2: oh well. :thumbsup:

/ Homemade Cornbread Stuffing
My only problem with your "homemade cornbread stuffing" is those pesky eggs in the giblet gravy. . . I have hated them all my life 2Lane :confused2: oh well. :thumbsup:

She dices them up pretty small, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if you left them out no one would be the wiser! I like to take a big slice of turkey, a dollop of mashed 'taters and a generous helping of dressing and smother them in the gravy. Add three of four of my famous bacon wrapped green beans bundles (I think I posted the recipe somewhere before) and I'm on my way...then later, nap time!

I did. https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/country-cookin/409294-oven-baked-green-beans.html

/ Homemade Cornbread Stuffing #5  
She dices them up pretty small, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if you left them out no one would be the wiser! I like to take a big slice of turkey, a dollop of mashed 'taters and a generous helping of dressing and smother them in the gravy. Add three of four of my famous bacon wrapped green beans bundles (I think I posted the recipe somewhere before) and I'm on my way...then later, nap time!

I did. https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/country-cookin/409294-oven-baked-green-beans.html

Other than the eggs, your giblet gravy is pretty much the same as ours (Grandmother, mother, and wife's) without the eggs :laughing: . . . going to have the wife try your cornbread stuffing recipe for sure ;), and that's how I too like my plate smothered in :thumbsup:

/ Homemade Cornbread Stuffing
My long lost brother!