Homemade forks

/ Homemade forks #1  

rcrcomputing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti ck30
While I need to get some better pictures, here's what I have for now. The only reason I'm posting about these forks is one unique reason. If I had it to do over again, I'd make them EXACTLY the same way. (Not all projects go that way.. ) :)

The are light weight, but heavy enough for the 30hp tractor.

It takes all of two seconds to load the forks by tilting the bucket underneath them, then two seconds to take them off. And I've found I use the heck out of them. Very very useful! In fact, one of the most used implements now, largely because they are so easy on and off. I will try to get better closeups later.

web_IMG_0110.jpg

Then they are ready to go..
web_IMG_0109.jpg

Here's the receivers mounted on the bucket without the forks.
web_IMG_0106.jpg

/ Homemade forks
Wish I could now edit the post above, the pictures are a bit overwhelming. I realized this, but got pulled away and when I came back, I see no edit button.

I'll mention again, if you make forks, consider making them really quick to put on - take off as this is the part of the design I like the most. 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off.

I was moving stuff yesterday and had to remove them, then I needed to move the box blade, 2 seconds on, pick up box blade and move, then 2 seconds off. All without getting off the tractor.

Attachments

• IMG_0109 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0109 (Large).JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_0110 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0110 (Large).JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 475
   / Homemade forks #3  
Nice job on the forks. We have a much larger set like that at work which sure are handy. It is possible to roll them back, but they will tend to stay level when trying to dump something like limbs. Just chain the bottom of the forks back to the bucket to make them dump.

/ Homemade forks #4  
RJR- Nice work! Is that Channel stock? Are they 'beefed-up' at the 90* turn? TNX! ~S

/ Homemade forks
Dirtditch,
I'll keep that in mind, Thanks

Scotty370,
Yes, it is channel stock and yes, I made a coupla of l-brackets to beef up the 90.
My tractor is a 30hp, if it was bigger, I might have to use something heavier. I've had them a coupla of months now and sure do like them. They'll hold what the tractor will do, though I don't get "mean" with them trying to pry or anything.
Pipe is schedule 80 2 1/5" od
The center reciever sits right under the pipe to catch any "bend" the pipe could have with a load.
I had to buy the channel, so I guess other than welding rods, I have about 50.00 or so in them. :)

/ Homemade forks #6  
Yes, it is channel stock and yes, I made a coupla of l-brackets to beef up the 90.

Nice job on the forks!

can you take a picture from behind ? ... Where you joined the channel.

I was wondering how far the brackets come out.

I would think the longer the bracket is the more strength there would be in that area.

/ Homemade forks #7  
While I need to get some better pictures, here's what I have for now.

The are light weight, but heavy enough for the 30hp tractor.

It takes all of two seconds to load the forks by tilting the bucket underneath them, then two seconds to take them off. And I've found I use the heck out of them. Very very useful! In fact, one of the most used implements now, largely because they are so easy on and off. I will try to get better closeups later.

I'm about to build some bucket forks for my 35 hp tractor and your post is very timely. I have been collecting ideas for almost a year and yours has just what I am looking for.

I have a few questions:

1. Why did you put your receivers at the outside edge of the bucket? I have been reading that right in front of the hydraulic arms is the strongest position. This is not a criticism, just a curiosity.

2. Are the forks freestanding after you remove them from the bucket? I have some 3 inch pipe that I am thinking of using and wonder if it would make the forks back heavy and then they would topple after being removed from the bucket. What do you think of the 3 inch pipe?

3. What material did you use for the fork receivers?

Thanks for the information and the closeup pictures to come.

Nice job on a great invention.

Clem