Homemade Tool Bar for Garden Bedder aka Disc Hiller

/ Homemade Tool Bar for Garden Bedder aka Disc Hiller #1  

artcarneyagr

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1250
With most places having no hillers in stock, and I can't find any on the used market without nearly new pricing, and can't even find a cheap one-row cultivator and modifying it to work, I've decided to just try and make one. I've looked at all the various threads on here, and they seem a bit scattered as some people use stuff they have lying around or salvage stuff from old equipment on the cheap.

I'm having to start from scratch and trying to generate a shopping list. Open to any and all ideas, pictures are appreciated! Thanks!!!

Will a "T" shape be fine like in the pictures, or should I add some additional support at about 45 degree angles?

Category 1 tool bar:
2" x 2" Square Tube Steel - is 1/4" the thickness I need?
2" flat stock - go with 1/2" thickness? Planning to use it to add reinforcement at the "T" connection
4" flat stock - go with 1/2" thickness? Planning to use this for plate at the top for my top link, and then notch out a 2x2 square in the plate to use for my lower 2 pins
2"x2"x1/4" Angle - might use this instead for my lower 2 pins, wouldn't take much

As for the Disc Hiller, is there a preference of hub style? Looks like "King" vs "Blanton" and I'm not sure which would be better.
Disc Hiller - 16" Disc Hiller with 22" Shank, King Style Hub: Disc Hiller Cultivator-King Style
Alt. Disc Hiller - 16" Disc Hiller with 22" Shank, Blanton Style Hub: 16 Inch Disc Hiller with 22 Inch Shank | Agri Supply 31752

Clamps: I know I could probably make the clamps cheaper, but for $34 I may just buy them to save some time and effort.
Disc hiller mount bracket: https://www.ruralking.com/disc-bedder-clamp

Bar Length/Width: My tractor tire width is 30.5" between the tires, and then 55.3" out-to-out. The widest I would set my discs apart would be that 30.5" width so I can cultivate later on if needed. I'm thinking of going with a 72" bar width to get out past the tires in case I want to use the tool bar for something else in the future, or maybe add some s-tines or sweeps for use as a cultivator....do my hilling in the spring then swap the discs out for the s-tines for use as a one-row cultivator the rest of the year, but that might be too much pressure on a 72" width and might bend it?

I don't have a quick hitch, nor do I use one, but what would be the dimensions to make sure the pins are located at in case I ever picked up a quick hitch?

Open to any and all ideas, pictures are appreciated! Thanks!!!

Photos where I'm getting ideas from, some of which came from TractorByNet:

Hiller002.jpg
hiller.jpg
91ZYoZVSl7L.jpg
DiscHiller002.jpg
heavy-duty-row-maker_1.jpg
LS-BEDDER-50-GB50DELUXE-2.jpg
resize (1).jpg

Last edited:
   / Homemade Tool Bar for Garden Bedder aka Disc Hiller #2  
   / Homemade Tool Bar for Garden Bedder aka Disc Hiller
Last time I checked, Agri Supply had them in stock
We don't have those here in western KY. Closest thing we've got is Rural King, which are all out of stock for a month or more.

/ Homemade Tool Bar for Garden Bedder aka Disc Hiller #5  
We don't have those here in western KY. Closest thing we've got is Rural King, which are all out of stock for a month or more.
Agri Supply ships. I've purchased many things from them, all my mower blades is one. None here either. Even bought my last hay rake from them and they shipped it very reasonable.

www.agrisupply.com

/ Homemade Tool Bar for Garden Bedder aka Disc Hiller #6  

I LOVE Rural King. Wish there was one near me. Takes 2 hours 1-way to get there.

Also look at the hiller option here too.

This should give you more ideas. The more robust you make the attachment, the more it can do. :)

They have it for SCUT, CUT and ATVs. Most of the clamp on items can be mail order or from Farm stores too.

View attachment 737899
Thanks! I looked at just buying one from them but at $393 + $85 shipping, that's way more than what I could just build one for. I'm definitely keeping that website on hand in case I need some future parts, they have lots of stuff that simply clamps onto a 2"x2" tool bar.

/ Homemade Tool Bar for Garden Bedder aka Disc Hiller #9  
Ag Supply has tons of them and they can ship to you.

Agri Supply ships. I've purchased many things from them, all my mower blades is one. None here either. Even bought my last hay rake from them and they shipped it very reasonable.

www.agrisupply.com
Oh I know they ship, I've ordered a lot of parts from them in the past for various implements and tractor parts, and that's where I plan to get the discs from for my build.