Snow Attachments Homeowner Sand/Salt spreader buying advise

/ Homeowner Sand/Salt spreader buying advise #1  

Pixguy

Tractor
2011 MF 2410 TLB
I'm stuck up in the snow this year so I'm looking to add a spreader for my steep 400' paved driveway and 650' gravel road. The scut front blower and rear blade that I have does a good job on both surfaces but hand spreading the sand and salt is both a hassle and somewhat treacherous on an icy steep drive.
Does anyone have advise on a 500# or less hopper sander? The Meyer 350 and some Salt Dogg units look like they'll hold enough material but I'd rather mount it on my front quick attach unit or a 3pt. Quick hitch instead of driving my F-150 down the driveway backwards and getting salt sprayed into the truck.

/ Homeowner Sand/Salt spreader buying advise #3  
Interested as well

/ Homeowner Sand/Salt spreader buying advise #5  
There is nothing more caustic to a paved driveway than salt.

In Colorado and Wyoming mountain towns, they don't use it anymore because it was too expensive to keep rebuilding the roads. It's sand only and a better effort to get the snow off the roads and let the sun work it's magic.

Salt is bad, don't use it.

/ Homeowner Sand/Salt spreader buying advise #6  
I just bought a 3pt spreader from everything attachments with the additional limiter shroud they sell for it. I spread gravel antiskid with a very little salt mixed in to keep the gravel pile from freezing.

Keep in mind spreading much salt on a gravel driveway can cause the ground to unfreeze and create a potential mess. I am pretty happy with it, does everything I need it to.

/ Homeowner Sand/Salt spreader buying advise #7  
The problem with sand is if it is outside it freezes /clumps up, you have to buy it dry and keep dry all the time. From what I understand Herd spreaders work pretty decent with clumped sand. Don't have one but remember seeing it somewhere and i think they were on the pricey side.

/ Homeowner Sand/Salt spreader buying advise #8  
Herd spreaders are sold in a version to use for driveway sanding. One thing to keep in mind with a 3 point hitch spreader is that you will have to hand load it which can get old.

/ Homeowner Sand/Salt spreader buying advise
Thanks for the responses.
Keeping the sand dry seems to be important and I've considered buying the tube sand from HD at 70# for $4.27. I figured it'd take 2-3 bags per sanding and I could keep a pallet or two in my heated garage with the tractor.

I'm also looking at the Snowex sander with a vibrator and hand controls for $1800. This another time I wish I had a larger machine with a cab.

/ Homeowner Sand/Salt spreader buying advise #10  
Hello Pixguy,

The tube sand bags will rot and break on you at the worst time, been there, done that.

Buying sand in bulk and having a pile of it in your garage to fill the spreader will work and shoveling off the floor into the pendulum spreader with a flat shovel is simpler as you can fill it from the ground as it will lower right to the ground.

In your situation a pendulum spreader will work best and cause the fewest problems because they will not clog
up.

Sand has to be physically moved like rock salt.

You need to look at the smallest three point hitch Vicon Pendulum/wig wag spreaders as they will break up and throw sand clumps with its agitator.

It uses the Power Take Off to operate the spreader agitator through a gear box that swings the spreader tube from side to side to reduce waste and overlap. once you set the spreading width your done period and there is no waste.

The hand controls for the chute to open and close it are directly in front of the spreader while you are sitting on the seat of the mule and easy to reach.

The biggest advantage for you is that it has a heavy injection molded hopper or a fiberglass hopper in the case for the larger ones that will not rust out and it can be filled from the ground with a shovel or a pail.
They are easy to clean with hot water or cold water.

The other thing is if you purchase a truck load of concrete sand that will cost you much less money per pound and
you can use windshield washer fluid to keep the sand flowing and reduce caking and freezing of any sand or salt or salt and sand mixture.

By shoveling or pouring in the sand from the ground level then pouring a gallon of WWF on top of a full hopper of sand will keep it flowing and as I said the Vicon spreader is much easier to use and clean if needed.

I am not trying to spend your money, I see what you have to deal with and the smallest pendulum spreader is the best way to do it simply because its simple to use, has one moving part which rotates and swings the discharge tube in one motion in a narrow or wide arc and the hopper is designed to let the agitator fully empty it through to the ground.

IN a pinch/bad ice layer you can use a gallon of cheap chlorine bleach to mix up with the sand in the Vicon pendulum spreader to melt ice too so keep that in mind to.

Do you have loaded tires and rear chains for your mule?