Honda fourtrax Carb problem

/ Honda fourtrax Carb problem #1  

clemsonfor

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
I have a 1989 honda fourtrax 300 2x4

Problem is that it surges and stumbles as full speed or most anything abouve about half throttle. If you hold it it will surge then almost like its starving for gas causing it to stumble then catch and keep going only to stumble again. Its almost like your slaming the throttle open n closed at high speed.

When i got it the carb was so dirty that it barely would run. I rebuilt the carb and ran almost 2 tanks through it no problem, all speeds from slow cruise to wide open. Then it started all of a sudden.

I just pulled the carb and pulled the jets and blew them all out, there clean as can be.

Any sugestions?

/ Honda fourtrax Carb problem #2  
If the carb was that dirty, did you pull the tank and clean it, and check the sump/valve? You could have easily gotten debris in your clean carburetor. It doesn't take much.

/ Honda fourtrax Carb problem
If the carb was that dirty, did you pull the tank and clean it, and check the sump/valve? You could have easily gotten debris in your clean carburetor. It doesn't take much.

Sadly no!!

I thoght about that and putting a fuel filter on but did not.

I did not soak the carb today when i took it apart like i did the first time when i rebuilt it. Do i pull that valve off to check it?

/ Honda fourtrax Carb problem #4  
It is so easy for small debris to clog up the jets in a carb. If the tank and lines are dirty, it will just foul up a clean carb. I would pull the tank and drain it, check it for corrosion and sludge from ethanol, and pull the shutoff valve off and clean it well. The tank also has a sump, to store reserve fuel.
I have a 99 Fourtrax 300, but fortunately I haven't had any carburetor isses. They are amazing machines. I buy ethanol-free gas, and keep a little seafoam in the tank. Once you get it running well again, you might want to consider running some seafoam through with the gas.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/br549_red/?action=view&current=snowstormtwothousandten019.jpg

It is so easy for small debris to clog up the jets in a carb. If the tank and lines are dirty, it will just foul up a clean carb. I would pull the tank and drain it, check it for corrosion and sludge from ethanol, and pull the shutoff valve off and clean it well. The tank also has a sump, to store reserve fuel.
I have a 99 Fourtrax 300, but fortunately I haven't had any carburetor isses. They are amazing machines. I buy ethanol-free gas, and keep a little seafoam in the tank. Once you get it running well again, you might want to consider running some seafoam through with the gas.

snowstormtwothousandten019.jpg picture by br549_red - Photobucket

My first thought in this was that i picked up trash from the tank. I replaced the main line from the tank to the carb. on the rebuild. Yesterday i pulled the carb like i said and pulled the 2 jets out of the carb (a third i cant get loose but i think its the idle jet anyhow (not a problem), they were clean as a whistle. I blew them out with compressed air anyhow. But its still acts like there is trash in it. So i will pull it back off and do a better job looking and spraying cleaner in it.

Oh i also buy ethonol free fuel, and since the rebuild it has had seafoam in it!! The stuff is good but dont disolve trash!!

OK i went throught it again. Same effect. I then remembered that i put a piece of cloth around the metal internal part of the air filter as the foam fell apart. Anyway i removed that and no problem anymore?? Simple things first, i should of thought of that, it started around the time i did that. The air filter i ordered did not fit?? (which is why i put the cloth on).

I did put a little 5/16 clear fram filter on it, but it seemed to keep running the carb dry? Maybe it had to do with the extra fuel line i did not cut off?? I dont know seems fishy to me? Anyway i pulled the filter off and it was fine again, i guess i got to find a lawn mower size filter and not a auto size G2 fram filter?