Honda TRX400FW Starting issue baffling me.

/ Honda TRX400FW Starting issue baffling me.
Was able to work on it this afternoon. The battery tests ok. I pulled out the wire from the solenoid to the starter. I found no cuts or breaks. I put an ohm meter to it and registered zero ohms as it should. I did the same thing on the negative wire without pulling it out. No cuts or breaks. The resistance on it also came out at zero. I also looked at the wire between the positive terminal and the solenoid. That also is ok. If I pull the starter off, is there a way to test it? Same question with the solenoid. Back to work tomorrow after a week off. Hopefully I'll get some time to look at it tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again for the help.

/ Honda TRX400FW Starting issue baffling me. #12  
Was able to work on it this afternoon. The battery tests ok. I pulled out the wire from the solenoid to the starter. I found no cuts or breaks. I put an ohm meter to it and registered zero ohms as it should. I did the same thing on the negative wire without pulling it out. No cuts or breaks. The resistance on it also came out at zero. I also looked at the wire between the positive terminal and the solenoid. That also is ok. If I pull the starter off, is there a way to test it? Same question with the solenoid. Back to work tomorrow after a week off. Hopefully I'll get some time to look at it tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again for the help.
Ohming out wire, and testing it under heavy current are all together different.

Auto parts store can test starter, you can test with jumper (always be careful).

Take the jumper cables, black to neg on battery, other end to shinny spot on frame. Red to pos on battery and the battery side of the starter solenoid and test. If you get strong start pull the positive, if it still works, ground is bad, if not positive is bad.

Best,

ed

Wow. five more days of vacation and all I did until today was yard work AKA honey-do's. Finally got to my issue this afternoon. I removed, cleaned, and put DE grease on all the connections. That changed nothing. I then took Dirttoy's advice and did the jumper cable test. Again, nothing. Last thing I tried was to jump the starter from the battery on my lawn tractor. I got a strong start from that. I tested the ATV battery again with good results. Right now, I'm guessing my solenoid is bad. The other thought is the wiring between the battery and solenoid has an issue that I haven't seen. Is there anything else I could be missing?
Thanks to all for the great replies. It has really helped keep me from doing stupid things like just replacing parts until things work.

/ Honda TRX400FW Starting issue baffling me. #14  
When you say you tested the ATV battery and getting good results. How are you testing it?

/ Honda TRX400FW Starting issue baffling me. #15  
Wow. five more days of vacation and all I did until today was yard work AKA honey-do's. Finally got to my issue this afternoon. I removed, cleaned, and put DE grease on all the connections. That changed nothing. I then took Dirttoy's advice and did the jumper cable test. Again, nothing. Last thing I tried was to jump the starter from the battery on my lawn tractor. I got a strong start from that. I tested the ATV battery again with good results. Right now, I'm guessing my solenoid is bad. The other thought is the wiring between the battery and solenoid has an issue that I haven't seen. Is there anything else I could be missing?
Thanks to all for the great replies. It has really helped keep me from doing stupid things like just replacing parts until things work.
Eh, glad you got back to it, and sure the boss is happy with the list you knocked off for her:)

I am not sure I gave my advice at the correct level. What you need for a start is:

1. 12v pos to the battery side of the start sol.
2. A path to ground for the starter it self.
3. 12v pos applied to the small wire on the start sol.

Better guidance would be:

1. red jumper from pos on battery to battery side of start sol.
2. black jumper for neg on battery to shinny spot on engine/frame.
3. small jumper from battery side of start sol to small wire on start sol. (this simulates power coming from the ignition switch that would come when it is in the start position).

If the starter engages and turns when the 3 point above exist then:

1. Remove the black jumper (the neg battery cable still need to be in place) and repeat. If you get start, your negative cable is good. If not, you have a faulty ground cable, repair/replace until you get start without the black jumper.
2. Remove the red jumper, now you have both battery cables hooked up, and no jumper cables. Repeat jumper from battery side of sol, to small wire on sol. If you get start, you have an interlock or ignition switch or wire issue. If you do not get start, replace repair pos battery cable and repeat test until you get start.

Report back as time permits, best of luck, glad it turns over, probably wont be too bad.

ed

I have been unwilling to believe the battery is bad as I just bought it in February. Sometimes, I'm too damn stubborn for my own good. For testing, I've been putting the battery in my garden tractor. The CCA are not the same, but if it tried to turn it over, I assumed it was good. Today I decided to take it to AZ for a real test. I had the battery on a trickle charger and it showed 13.3 volts when I tested it before I headed over there. AZ told me it was dead and needed to be charged before they could test it. Either they lied to me to sell me a battery or something is definitely wrong. I'm going to assume the latter and return the battery for a replacement.

/ Honda TRX400FW Starting issue baffling me. #17  
A battery can have surface charge which remains for a hour or so after charging that can lead one to believe it still good, that's what I suspect you measured as 13.3 volts.

While checking the voltage of a battery is a indication of its state of charge the true test is a load test which is what I assume AZ did for you.

If your battery was able to turn over your garden tractor it must had had some "life" in it but I'll bet not enough for your other application.

I hope a new battery fixes your issues, let us know.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for not reporting back on my battery issue. The store replaced it for me. And I've got to say that I feel so damn stupid for being so stubborn as to not see that, as many of you pointed out, I had a bad battery. I'd be happy to take some verbal slaps upside my head, or I told you so. Thanks to all that kept pushing my stubborn ass in the right direction.

/ Honda TRX400FW Starting issue baffling me. #19  
I'm so sorry for not reporting back on my battery issue. The store replaced it for me. And I've got to say that I feel so damn stupid for being so stubborn as to not see that, as many of you pointed out, I had a bad battery. I'd be happy to take some verbal slaps upside my head, or I told you so. Thanks to all that kept pushing my stubborn ass in the right direction.
Haha... I've had that happen a couple of times. Dumb battery would test fine, but have no power to start the machine.

/ Honda TRX400FW Starting issue baffling me. #20  
Thanks for letting us know and glad to hear your back in business!