Chipper Hooking up hydraulics

/ Hooking up hydraulics #1  

Mark2842

Tractor
2017 5055E
Hello.
We have a 2017 JD 5505E. We bought a chipper. And hooking up the hydraulics for it. Do we need a self contained hydraulic system for it? We have to bungee the handle back for it to get hydraulic fluid to it. Same way with our wood splitter. The chipper we ordered from China. ( i know im going to get slack for that.) But we saved about 8k on price. Its comparable to Walstein Bx92R

Thanks in advance.
Mark

/ Hooking up hydraulics #2  
What services is the hydraulic system going to do for the chipper?

If the main chipper drive is hydraulic, then it might be marginal at best.
What are its requirements in terms of flow and pressure.

Do you have a factory FEL?

More details needed to advise you further.

Dave M7040

/ Hooking up hydraulics #3  
That tractor is not designed to run hydraulic oil continuously through the scv's. So you will have to continue to tie back the scv's to use them in that fashion (monitor your temp). You could look to an eh operated power beyond as an option or a pto pump and tank for a separate system.

/ Hooking up hydraulics #4  
open center.PNG Here is the section out of the op's manual regarding your tractors hydraulics. Now I realize you are not running a hyd motor but explains why you do not have a detent on your scv's. With that said there are plenty of users tying back the scv's for live hydraulics to attachments like you are using and even many actually running hyd motors like on a hay rake. Imao all you really need to do is watch your temp.

/ Hooking up hydraulics #5  
From looking at the Wallenstein I think the hydraulics are only driving the infeed rollers. For comparison, my Woodmaxx 8H 8" chipper has a hydraulic pump driven off the input shaft rather than using the tractor's hydraulics. It flows 3 gpm. Your tractor's system flows 11.4 gpm. If your feed roller motors are sized about the same as my Woodmaxx's and you are running all the fluid through them, they'll be a restriction on flow. Which will cause the fluid to heat up.

Like that section of manual states you could use a flow control valve to send only part of the flow to the chipper and the rest to the transmission/oil tank.