Horse farm needs tractor

/ Horse farm needs tractor #101  
You need a toy tractor from the dollar store. I'll send you $1.25 plus tax.
imho the OP doesn't need sarcasm but a wide range of discussion to make an informed decision. regards

/ Horse farm needs tractor #102  
It's less expensive to start off with a toy tractor and make the discovery that you can't get any work done with it than to buy too small a tractor in real life to figure the same thing out on a much more expensive scale.

Probably any 25hp machine out there will feel like a toy compared to the old MF 35.

/ Horse farm needs tractor #103  
I agree with your math, rScotty. I’m an engineer, we both know basic physics! :) But not with the conclusion that all of these loaders have the same effective lift capacity.

That table is not showing same loader on three different machines, as you stated, but rather three different loaders on the same machine (or as close as is possible with the -E). The 320R and 300R numbers were in fact taken on the same machine, and 320R has a greater lift capacity than the 300R.

Also, you choose your bucket separately from the loader, when buying. I can put the same bucket on both loaders, there’s no reason to assume the heavier loader must also carry a heavier bucket.
I think I'm allowing the same bucket weight on all the loaders: 200 lbs. Actually, that seemed conservative to me, and didn't include the weight of an SSQA.

I still think that what matters most is the lift capacity from the ground to chest height. And also the bucket breakout - which is a spec mostly based on dollars since it is whether the bucket cylinder is working the bucket directly or through a more expensive linkage.
I don't see where "lift to full height" is useful for much other than advertising fluff.

And anyway, I don't think maximizing lift matters as much as something like a good quality control valve because it so often it makes sense to pick up less and just make an extra trip.
YMMV, but that's how I see it.
rScotty

/ Horse farm needs tractor
It's less expensive to start off with a toy tractor and make the discovery that you can't get any work done with it than to buy too small a tractor in real life to figure the same thing out on a much more expensive scale.

Probably any 25hp machine out there will feel like a toy compared to the old MF 35.
The MF 35 spends more time not running than running so I'm not sure about that.

I am also looking into MF, most likely the MF 1800 as they seem to be a long running company with local dealers. Again, budget is firm no more than 25K prefer under that. Not set on brand by any means, most be readily available in Indiana and long standing enough we don't have to worry about parts. Number one task is dragging the arenas. Number 2 task is loader work with the manure pile. Number 3 is possibly running a 5 foot bush hog on pasture.

One thing I have to say - these threads are great even though folks don't agree (perhaps *because* they don't agree)

OP, if you can step back a bit you're getting input from folks with both larger and smaller tractors and a good range of things to consider/trade-off/ask the dealer about. No one can tell you what's right for you, but hopefully you'll be able to make a more informed decision having posted your question here.
I've gotten some great advice! It boils down to finances and availability. There's a lot out on the market and I don't want to get brand blind and miss a better tractor for less, or get brand blind and get a lemon. I certainly can't pay cash as others suggested, otherwise I probably wouldn't be ordering parts online for the 1967 M35 every time it breaks.

/ Horse farm needs tractor #107  
I have a small horse farm and have used a Massey 150 for mowing with a woods MD80 (80 inches). It woks fine for mowing. I also used it for arena grading, moving material ( with a pond scoop), and various other jobs. It got a bit old changing out the mower for the other equipment, so I just bought a Massey 135. In Kentucky 40 hp tractors can be had used for $4000 to $6500 in fairly good condition. I've had the Massey 150 for 25 years and it still starts right up in the middle of the winter. Both are diesel.

/ Horse farm needs tractor #108  
OP: you're doing a good job at homework. so how soon do you need the new equipment?
btw, i used a MF TO35 (diesel) for 28 yrs before finally succumbing to my present rig. so your old school machine is great. purchasing frenzy runs wild, been there several times. if time is not urgent, step back & review before making the commitment. sleep on it for a while, regards

/ Horse farm needs tractor #110  
I still think that what matters most is the lift capacity from the ground to chest height.
Agreed.

I don't see where "lift to full height" is useful for much other than advertising fluff.
I'm often at full height when lifting logs over the side of my trailer, so it matters in that application, but most people probably never use their tractor for that. I bring home up to three trailer loads of logs some weekends, many of them pushing my loader's lift capacity. I think that for most, loader lift height is going to come up more often than capacity at max lift, such as when hoisting equipment out of a pickup truck bed (something I was doing this morning).

YMMV, but that's how I see it.
Of course. Good discussion. We all use our machines in different ways, so we come at these things from different angles, and we each prioritize things differently. Hell, catch me in winter, and I'll probably tell you my priorities are different then than today. We're all biased by the thing we're doing most recently.