Horse run in ideas

/ Horse run in ideas #1  

56FordGuy

Gold Member
Alright y'all, I'm looking for some input. I'm getting ready to build a 12x24, three sided shelter for the horses. The plan is to use 6, 6x6" posts with a sloped roof that's about 11' at the opening down to 10' at the back. I plan on doing metal roofing for the roof and possibly the sides, with some 2x lumber for the bottom 4' or so of the insides for a kick board.

What size rafters and headers would y'all recommend using? Since the rafters will be single boards running from one end to the other, I was thinking about using 14' 2x6s on 18" centers. Is that spacing about right to install corrugated metal on, or do I need to move them in to 16"? Basically I just want to build a three sided pole barn. It seems simple enough, I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something since I've never done this before.

Thanks!

/ Horse run in ideas #2  
I think you will need to move up to 2X8 @ 16" centers to carry the load. You have only 1' slope in 12' = 1 in 12 pitch, virtually flat. With that small pitch you can not figure in any reasonble amount of snow slide. Granted we don't get a lot of snow in TN, but what comes is usually wet & heavy. Different load bearing calculators I've found on the web all come up with same results, 2" X 8" on 16" centers.

/ Horse run in ideas #3  
It sounds like you have a good plan to build your run just make sure you face the back of the stall to the north so that in the winter your horse stay a little warmer i have built two of these runs and am fixing to build two more just the way you are fixing to do

/ Horse run in ideas #4  
Typically, you would run the rafters from the back wall, uphill to a beam at the front. You said that you'll be puting a metal roof on so to save a few dollars, you could eliminate the 24' beam and run a beam, prolly a tripple 2x10, from your front center post to a center post in the rear wall, and run your rafters left to right to the center beam and the end walls. This will save lumber on;
1 shorter beam
2 no roof purlins (to attach your roof metal to)
It's hard to discuss building projects here without drawings, if you want a front and back roof overhang my suggention becomes more difficult. As far as your spacing, I can't say for TN. do you get much snow? Pretty much everything is framed at 16" or 24" centers, at 18" what will you gain? Talk with some local guys. One last thing, I've seen some guys here run their roof framing members the same direction as the metal, that is a no no! Sorry if I misunder stood you.

/ Horse run in ideas
I had been planning to run the rafters from the front to the rear, with a bit of an overhang, about 1' on each end. I know I need a stout beam/ header at the front, but will I need the same at the rear? I think I will. I had planned on using two 12' beams, joined at the center post instead of one 24' beam. Is that a workable idea?

The main rafters would run the same direction as the metal, but I would run purlins across them to attach the metal to.

No real gain that I'm aware of by going with 18" centers instead of 16", my original thought was to use less lumber. I haven't done the math on that just yet, but it may only be a board or two saved. If that's the case, I may as well go with 16" centers. I know I'll need to block between the rafters.

Is the 1 in 12 enough pitch? I'll be honest, I didn't consider snow load because we rarely get any real amount of snow, I think the big storm last year may have been 6 or 7". I had thought about 12' at the front dropping to 10' at the rear, would that make a really noticeable difference?

/ Horse run in ideas #6  
here are some pics for ideas, my pitch is about the same as you are planning and if i were to do it over i would add a bit more, at least another 6" to the drop not so much for the snow but the rain, it tends to puddle a bit before dipping off into the gutter. the posts are 4x6 and the beams are 2x8 sandwiching the posts. the joists are 2x6 spaced about 26" apart. i've had a foot of snow on it with no sag and the snow here is very wet. if i had planned to add walls would have just put in another post along each wall side to attach boards to for the siding..