hose qd relief pliers?

/ hose qd relief pliers? #1  

Cidertom

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4520, 2305 Aktive snow-trac ST4
Greetings:
I have been unable to find a source for a tool, perhaps someone out there knows where...

The tool was shaped like a large slipjoint pliers. One side was slotted and slipped over the catch ring on male hyd couplings. The other had a boss that pressed on the ball seal on the coupling. One squeeze and remaining pressure went away allowing the coupling to be made. Place I used to work for had two, one for each size of coupling they had. Company went away and I can't even find who made them.

The issue is park and uncouple on a cool day, then try to hook up on a hot one, the expansion makes enough pressure to make it difficult. The tap the end of the coupling with a hammer to make it vent is messy, and scars the end of the ball.

/ hose qd relief pliers? #2  
That tool sounds intriguing.

I keep a roll of shop towels in the tractor, and one towel in my pocket. When performing the connect/disconnect evolution, I take the towel and place it onto a hard surface and then push the plug (male side of hydro coupling) and force the ball to release. It protects the ball, catches the drips, and releases the pressure.

I would like to see that tool.

/ hose qd relief pliers?
I have had a few times where I could not push hard enough to cause it to open. Or do you vent while disconnecting to provide some wiggle room?

It is bad enough on my rear blade I have considered a dump valve. I just don't want to have extra air in the system.

The pliers were not a "home brew" or if they were home brew I would like to have that skill level.

/ hose qd relief pliers? #4  
That is a great idea.. If it's not available I might know someone who could make one.

Wedge

/ hose qd relief pliers? #5  
I do not vent on disconnect, and I can usually push with sufficient force to open the ball.

It is the attachments that build-up pressure, and I usually use dust-caps on all plugs and sockets (male and female couplings). One writer on this site recommended connecting the implement/attachment hoses together once disconnected from the tractor.

That did not work for me because then the pressure build-up in the closed circuit made it very difficult to open that coupling when I needed it again.

Keep looking for the tool. Tools are good.